Using Tuition Assistance at USC
South Carolina is accredited by accrediting agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and is a signatory to the current Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding, making courses at the university eligible for tuition assistance.
DoD Military Tuition Assistance Caps
- Per quarter credit hour: $166.67
- Per semester hour: $250
- Maximum per year: $4,000
General Funding Guidelines
- Can be classroom-based or distance learning coursework
- Student must be officially registered and earn a grade or credit for course
- Course must be part of an approved academic degree or certificate program
- Cannot be used for a lower or lateral degree program than what the student currently possesses
- Not authorized for programs of study beyond a master's degree
- Funds apply to course tuition only; may not be used to pay for books, materials, institutional fees
or retaking a course previously taken
Per DoD MOU paragraph 3.h.(3), “before offering, recommending, arranging, signing-up, dispersing, or enrolling Service members, USC will provide Service members access to an institutional financial aid counselor. USC will disclose the institution's student loan Cohort Default Rate(CDR) and how it compares to the national average. If USC’s student loan Cohort Default Rate is greater than the national average, it will be disclosed through Financial Aid and students will be provided loan repayment data.
Tuition Assistance by Service Branch
- The Army is currently undergoing an update to the TA portal for both administrators and students. The new system is AmryIgnitED. More instruction will be posted as we approach the 'go live' date. Click here for more information about how to request TA for Columbia/Ft. Jackson.
- By law, officers who use TA incur a service obligation: two years for active-duty officers and four years for reserve officers.
- Service obligation is calculated from the date of completion of the last course for which TA was used.
TA is available for all active-duty Marines with at least 24 months of service and also to reservists on continuous active duty, enlisted reservists ordered to active duty 120 days and reserve officers ordered to active duty for two or more years.
- Tuition assistance cannot be used if you have had or are pending disciplinary action.
- Applications must be submitted and command approved before the course starts.
Refer to the most current Marine Corps Tuition Assistance Guidelines for full details, or contact your Marine Corps Voluntary Education Center to receive educational counseling either in person or by phone.
- Officers agree to remain on active duty for at least two years upon completion of the course(s) term end date. This obligation runs concurrently with remaining obligated service time.
- Officers who do not complete the required service obligation must repay the TA funds expended on their behalf during the last two years of active duty on a pro-rated basis.
Learn more about the Navy's tuition assistance policies,
- Any TA not "supervisor" approved by prescribed start dates will be auto-deleted and a notification sent to the prospective student.
- MilTA will automatically be denied for Airmen with UIFs, failed PT tests or referral EPR/OPRs or on a Control Roster.
Learn more about the Air Force's tuition assistance policies, or contact your local installation education offices with additional questions or clarification on MilTA benefits and program specifics.
Service Requirements — Enlisted
- Active-duty enlisted members must meet all requirements set forth in the latest ALCOAST or standing policy in order to utilize TA.
- Active-duty members must complete the TA authorized course(s) on or prior to RELAD, discharge or retirement.
- If the member is going to RELAD and provides documentation showing that he/she will be in the SELRES, then TA authorized course(s) may begin in active-duty status and be completed in SELRES status.
Service Requirements — Officer
- Active-duty officers must meet all requirements set forth in the latest ALCOAST or standing policy in order to utilize TA.
Get details about the Coast Guard's tuition assistance program.