iClicker and REEF
Student response systems allow you to take attendance, and poll students in real time with questions projected in your classroom. You can track answers, automatically add scores to your Blackboard Grade Center, and even allow your students to review in-class questions for study. Students can use either a purchased iClicker (available from USC Bookstore) or the mobile app, REEF Polling, on their smart phone to respond to your questions.
UTS support for iClicker/REEF systems is confined to providing university-specific software for the iClicker system.
- Instructor interface works on Windows and Mac operating systems
- Integrates with PowerPoint via a floating toolbar
- Polling captures real time student responses and displays them
- Students register their device online for your class; view participant lists
- Student devices display correct/incorrect answers; can be reviewed later
- Transfer student scores to your Blackboard Grade Center
- For iClicker Classic (locally hosted, formerly i>clicker 7):
- Computer with Windows or Mac operating system and USB port
- Instructor base unit and remote (available from iClicker)
- iClicker preconfigured Software (available from UTS – see below)
- Students purchase or rent the iClicker remote from the USC Bookstore
- For iClicker Cloud (formally REEF instructor):
- Computer with Windows or Mac operating system
- Connection to the Internet (hardwire connection strongly recommended for instructor)
- iClicker Cloud instructor software application (download for free from iclicker.com)
- Students need a mobile device such as a tablet, laptop or smartphone with internet access. Students need to set up their iClicker Reef student account. The account can be set up via a browser on a tablet or laptop or the free iClicker Reef app can be downloaded to an Android or iPhone. Student subscriptions are available by purchasing an access card in the university bookstore or direct via a credit card.
- Not sure which version of iClicker to use? Compare instructor software
For iClicker Classic:
- Visit the iClicker website for more information.
- Order an instructor kit – base unit and remote – from iClicker.
- Download the USC-specific iClicker software (see below) or contact the UTS Service Desk.
- Download support
- Sign up for a training
- Inform your students they will need to either purchase or rent an iClicker from the university bookstore for your course.
For iClicker Cloud (formerly REEF instructor):
- Download the iClicker Cloud instructor software.
- Download support
- Start the application and create an account and link the course
- Sign up for a training
- Inform your students they will need to purchase an iClicker REEF subscription, create an account, and download the REEF Polling app onto a smart device or access it through the browser.
- University Technology Services offers limited support for iClicker Classic & Cloud systems. You must request the iClicker Classic software from University Technology Services (see links below). All other support issues should be directed to iClicker Support at:
- UTS Service Desk
- iClicker Support
iClicker Classic Software
- To download the current USC iClicker Classic software, click on the link below that matches your computer’s operating system:
- WinMac: The WinMac version is for faculty who use both Windows and Mac. It contains the executable files for both Windows and Mac iClicker. It must be downloaded and extracted and moved to a USB drive using a Macintosh computer, but thereafter is accessible by Mac and PC. This allows faculty to have one iClicker folder and one iClicker class data location for multi-platform use.
Instructor Support Resources
- iClicker Classic System
- User Guide
- Instructional videos
- Best Practice for use in the Classroom:
- Instructional webinars led by other faculty
- Resource Guide
- EDUCAUSE – Tips for Successful “Clicker” Use
- Tech Support
- Blackboard Integration and Roster Import instructions**IMPORTANT: You do NOT need to recreate a roster for iClicker when using Blackboard Integrate. Just follow the above instructions to integrate the iClicker/Blackboard courses, and direct your students to register their remote ID through the link in your Blackboard course. Regularly Sync your roster in the iClicker Gradebook, and the roster is created for you as students register, drop/add the course.
- iClicker Cloud System
- Download the iClicker Cloud software to your office computer and classroom computer (if you have both).
- Instructor Resources
- Blackboard Integration