Instructors may request Beyond the Classroom Funds starting August 2022.
In order to qualify as an allowable expense, the event must:
1) occur outside of normal class time;
2) foster beyond-the-classroom learning among class participants, with a focus on cultural, service, and organized team-building opportunities;
3) advance one or more of the course learning outcomes;
4) be requested at least two weeks in advance of the event to allow for sufficient review and planning.
- Funds will only be approved to support one beyond-the-classroom opportunity per section.
- The applicant must be the instructor of record for a UNIV 101 class on the UofSC Columbia campus.
- Money spent without prior authorization will not be reimbursed.
- We are not authorized to provide lump sums of money to an instructor in advance of an event.
- These funds are unable to support food purchases, items intended for donation, or supplies that have a shelf life beyond the day of the project (i.e. trash bags, gloves, cleaning supplies, craft items, etc.)
- Funding for admissions costs will only be provided for trips to not-for-profit organizations.
Examples of Pre-Approved Events