Funding of up to $10 per student (including peer/graduate leader and the instructor
of record) will be available on a first-come, first-served basis to University 101
classes for engagement, learning and community development outside the classroom.
Funding for activities that are not on the approved list will be considered on a case-by-case
Requests are vetted by University 101 Programs staff. Staff will respond to your request
within two business days.
In order to qualify as an allowable expense, the event must:
- occur outside of normal class time
- foster beyond-the-classroom learning among class participants, with a focus on cultural, service and organized team-building opportunities
- advance one or more of the course learning outcomes
- be requested at least two weeks before the event
- Funds will only be approved to support one beyond-the-classroom opportunity per section.
- The applicant must be the instructor of record for a UNIV 101 class on the USC Columbia campus.
- Money spent without prior authorization will not be reimbursed.
- We are not authorized to provide money to an instructor in advance of an event.
- These funds are unable to support food purchases, items intended for donation or supplies that have a shelf life beyond the day of the project (i.e. trash bags, gloves, cleaning supplies, craft items, etc.).
- Funding for admissions costs will only be provided for trips to not-for-profit organizations.