The Magellan Explorer Award
- up to $500 per recipient for salary, materials and travel
- up to $100 for faculty mentors
- funds research, scholarly and creative projects
You must be:
- a current or former Preston College resident
- in good standing with Preston Residential College
- in good standing with the university
- working under the guidance of a faculty, staff or community mentor.
You do not have to apply for the full amount to be considered for a Magellan Explorer Grant.
- Complete the Magellan Programs Application [doc].
Includes sections for project overview, research compliance, research abroad and budget
- Have your mentor complete the Mentor Collaboration Form [doc].
If you have a co-mentor, have them complete the Co-Mentor Form [doc]. Both forms should be mailed to email@example.com.
NOTE: graduate students are permitted as daily advisers and co-mentors but are not eligible to be the primary mentor for a project.
- Submit the online application form.
Select "Magellan Explorer" from the menu. Under "Magellan Programs Application," upload your PDF or Word document.
You may not submit a proposal during the semester you are graduating.
You must be enrolled for one full semester after the award date of the grant.
The Magellan Explorer grant has a rolling deadline. That means you can submit your proposal whenever it's ready, and we will review it.
Proposal Review Period
It will take about a month after you submit to hear whether you've been selected to receive the award. The earlier you submit, the better.
Note: award funds must be used within the academic year they are awarded (deadline for use is June after award received).
Preparing Your Application
Project Overview Tips and Hints [pdf]
How to write a successful project overview
Application Checklist [pdf]
Use the checklist to ensure you've completed all parts of your Magellan Research Application.
You can get paid! Preston hires you when you receive the Magellan Explorer grant and request a salary. You'll submit time sheets each week and receive a paycheck. We encourage students to request no more than $10 per hour.
Supplies and Travel
Include supplies, materials, travel, etc. in your budget. Keep in mind the maximum amount you can request is $500, and funds are provided by reimbursement only.
If you purchase something, it belongs to USC. You do not get to keep it.
Items not covered by this grant:
- computer (includes laptop, desktop, etc.)
- gift cards or cash (to pay participants)
- hiring people (such as consultants)
- travel under 10 miles
- books that can be found through the USC library
- senior thesis printing costs
- any item that does not have a receipt
Allowable costs include:
- software (such as SPSS, InDesign, etc.)
- plane tickets
- gas (for trips more than 10 miles)
- printing costs
- hotel room
- cameras or video equipment
- renting a kayak
- books not found through the USC library
- raffle items (for study participants — must be less than $50 each)
- conference travel (no more than half your budget).
Keep in mind...
Our office has digital recorders, iPads, external hard drives and other devices available to check out for research projects. Check with us before you add them to your budget.
Also check with your department to see if they have what you need before including it in your budget. Note in your budget that you already checked.
All funds must be used by June 1 of the academic year your award starts.
Requirements for Magellan Explorer Recipients
1. Make significant progress toward completing your project within the grant period.
2. Complete a research ethics workshop.
3. Present at Discover USC.
4. Submit a research report with pictures.
Registering With the Study Abroad Office
ALL students traveling abroad for research, volunteer, internships or study must register
with the Study Abroad Office.
Applies for USC Columbia students who are going abroad to:
- Study (non-credit)
USC Columbia students must also comply with University Travel Policies (ACAF 2.09) [pdf].
If You Are Not a USC Columbia Student:
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-777-1141.
Before You Plan Your Research...
Review the Research Abroad Guidelines Document [pdf] for:
- Important people to meet with and contact
- Research abroad requirements
- Guidelines and tips for the application
Applying as a Group
Students may submit one application for a small group working on the same project.
Up to $500 per student, with a maximum of $2,000 per project