The SC-AMP Summer Research Program
- funded through the National Science Foundation South Carolina Alliance for Minority Participation (SC-AMP) program
SC-AMP is not available through Fall 2022. Please check back for Summer 2023.
But good news!
You do not have to have a grant to get started in research AND other research money is available! The Office of Undergraduate Research has many grant awards that you may be eligible for. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org directly or set up a research consultation to discuss getting started in research and/or grant award options.
To schedule a RESEARCH CONSULTATION*:
Consultations are available through Teams video conferencing, phone, or in-person.
=> Log on to sc.campus.eab.com
=> Click on "Make an Appointment" tab (right hand side of the screen)
=> Under what type of appointment, select "Involvement and Engagement"
=> Under service, select "Undergraduate Research Appointment"
=> Then click on the button "Find Available Time"
Please feel free to include comments about where you are in the research journey (curious about research, ready to get started, have a mentor/questions about funding, etc.). This helps us better help you!
*If these appointment options conflict with your schedule, please contact us directly at email@example.com with days and times you are available to meet by video/phone.
SC-AMP is designed to support and encourage undergraduate minority students in STEM to pursue graduate education*. The program places emphasis on transforming STEM education through innovative recruitment and retention strategies and experiences in support of groups historically underrepresented in STEM disciplines.
Accepted majors include engineering, mathematics, natural sciences, computing or exercise science. The program does not permit majors in health professional fields, public health, psychology, cardiovascular technology, pre-pharmacy/pharmaceutical sciences, etc. Feel free to contact us with any questions related to accepted majors.
*Preference given to students anticipating the pursuit of graduate education (master’s/PhD) in STEM. This does not include medical school.
You must be:
- an underrepresented minority student as defined by the National Science Foundation (African-American, Hispanic American, Pacific Islander or Native American)
- a citizen or legal resident of the United States
- a UofSC Columbia campus or Midlands Tech student with a GPA of 3.0 or higher in good academic standing
- an undergraduate seeking a bachelor's degree in engineering, mathematics, natural sciences, computing or exercise science (the program does not permit majors in health professional fields, public health, psychology, etc.)
*Please note: Preference is given to students with an established faculty mentor and project, but this is not required in order to apply (application below)
Get involved in a research project with a UofSC professor for eight to 10 weeks during the summer. Don't have a mentor? You may still apply (see the application for details).
Program participation includes:
- eight to 10 weeks of summer research (if you intend to take classes during the summer, please contact OUR for options)
- professional development workshops
- UofSC Summer Poster Symposium
- SC-AMP research conference presentation
Get involved in a research project abroad!
- Contact the Education Abroad Office for possible programs.
- Find a research site through the National Science Foundation.
- Ask your mentor if they have an international collaborator with whom you could conduct research.
Awards are available to offset expenses.