Skip to Content

Undergraduate Admissions Admitted Students

Freshman Q & A


(Admissions Office: 803-777-7700)

When do I register for my courses?

You will register for your courses during New Student Orientation. Don’t forget to take the math and foreign language placement tests before your Orientation date!

Are the math and foreign language placement tests required?

The University of South Carolina requires that all students achieve proficiency in one foreign language, so all newly admitted freshmen should take the placement test of the foreign language studied in high school. Students must register for the foreign language placement test in advance. The test is administered on campus and must be taken before your scheduled New Student Orientation date.

Any student registering for a math course at the University of South Carolina must meet the prerequisites for the course. The prerequisites can be met either (i) by earning a C or better in an appropriate lower-level math course at USC, (ii) by receiving Advanced Placement (AP) or higher-level International Baccalaureate (IB) credits, (iii) by transfer credit from another school, or (iv) by a qualifying placement test score in the appropriate version of our math placement test. It is likely that you will not have your official AP or IB scores by the time you attend New Student Orientation, so all freshmen should plan to take the math placement test at least two weeks before their scheduled New Student Orientation date. You can find more information on math placement testing online.

*Please note that students cannot take the placement tests during New Student Orientation. 

I intend to major in Dance. Do I need to audition?

Yes, all Dance majors must audition in order to be considered for admission into the Dance program. Please visit the Dance program website for more information. 

I intend to major in Music. Do I need to audition?

Yes, all Music majors must audition in order to be considered for admission into the Music program. Please visit the School of Music website for more information.

What is Carolina’s credit policy for AP and IB exams?

An AP/IB credit chart is available online. AP and IB credit may be applied only after your official scores are sent directly from the testing service to USC.

I’ve attempted some college courses in high school, but I don’t intend to transfer them. Do I still need to submit my official transcript if I enroll at USC?

Yes, college courses are a part of your permanent academic record, so you will be required to submit the transcript.

How may I tell if I will receive credit for the college courses I’ve attempted?

Check out the Transfer Equivalency tables on the Registrar website to see if your course has already been researched. If you do not see your course listed, it does not necessarily mean that you will not receive credit. It means we may not have researched it yet. Therefore, it’s important for you to send us your official college transcript as soon as it’s available.


Application Changes

(Admissions Office: 803-777-7700) 

I want to change my intended major. How do I do this?

Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 803-777-7700, and ask to speak with an admissions counselor. Please be aware that some programs, including Dance and all Music majors, require an additional application and/or audition. If you are considering changing your major, we encourage you to contact the admissions office before your New Student Orientation date.

I wish to change my intended entry term. How do I do this?

If you wish to update your application to be considered for a different entry term, call the admissions office at 803-777-7700 and ask to speak with an admissions counselor. You can update your application at no additional charge for terms that fall within one year of your original entry term request. Please note that you must meet admission requirements for the new term.


Disability Services

(Office of Disability Services: 803-777-6142/ TDD 803-777-6744) 

Does USC provide disability services for its students?

Yes, the Office of Disability Services provides many different types of assistance for students with documented disabilities. You must contact the office directly to initiate services. You can e-mail them, visit their website, or call the numbers listed above.


Documenting South Carolina Residency

(South Carolina Residency: 803-777-4060)

Do I still need to complete the Residency Certification Form if I indicated I am a South Carolina resident on my application for admission?

Yes, you must complete the South Carolina Residency Certification form on Self Service Carolina in order to be considered for in-state tuition.



(Center for Health and Well-Being: 803-777-9511) 

Do I have to submit the official University of South Carolina immunization form?

Immunization records from a doctor’s office, health department, the military or a previous school may be submitted in place of the form. However, you must also submit the TB Risk Assessment form. Contact the Center for Health and Well-Being to obtain this form. All records must be verified with a healthcare provider’s signature or stamp.

May I fax my immunization form?

Yes, you may fax your completed Immunization Record Form to the Thomson Student Health Center at 803-777-3955 after you submit your immunization dates online at My Health Space. Please note you must submit your form no later than three weeks before your scheduled New Student Orientation date.


(Parking Services: 803-777-5160)

May I have a car on campus during my first year at Carolina?

Yes, you may bring a car to campus during your first year.

Visit Vehicle Management and Parking Services for parking rates, locations, and more. 

Tuition and Fee Payment

(Office of the Bursar: 803-777-4233)

How do I access my bill for next year?

Assuming you registered for your classes at New Student Orientation, your bill will be available in Self Service Carolina in early July. The USC Board of Trustees will set the 2018-2019 tuition rate in early summer 2018. You can review costs for the 2017-2018 academic year on the Admissions website.

Undergraduate Admissions Admitted Students