The Office of General Counsel provides legal advice to the Board of Trustees, the President, and the administration, faculty and staff on legal matters involving or affecting the eight campuses of the University of South Carolina.
- Provides legal advice and counsel to University officials, faculty and staff on all USC campuses pertaining to university matters
- Provides representation and litigation support in all lawsuits involving a USC campus
- Handles all internal and external administrative and regulatory matters and grievances involving a USC campus (e.g., SC Human Affairs Commission, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, US Department of Justice, US Office for Civil Rights, SC Inspector General, SC Employee Grievance Committee)
- Coordinates the employment of outside counsel engaged to assist a USC campus in specialized legal matters
- Negotiates, drafts and reviews all institutional contracts and property transactions involving a USC campus
- Serves as a clearinghouse to gather and provide public documents in response to subpoenas received by and Freedom of Information Act requests made to USC campuses
- Registers programs involving minors as required by University policy. Programs involving minors can register via an online form.
Walter “Terry” H. Parham, General Counsel and Executive Director of Compliance Programs