Skip to Content

Student Conduct and Academic Integrity

Judicial Council Hearing

If you disagree with a decision made in your conduct hearing case, or you would prefer to have a panel of your peers decide, you can request a judicial council hearing.

What To Expect

The Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity staff will set a date, time and location for your hearing and then notify you through your university email.

Bringing Others

You can bring one family member, friend, lawyer, advisor or other individual to the hearing, as long as that person was not directly involved in the incident. They will not be allowed to speak or directly participate. You will need to fill out a Consent to Release Information Form [pdf] for anyone coming to the meeting.

If you would like more information on bringing others, please review this document [pdf].

Confidentiality and Recordings

Your hearing will be closed and confidential, and you will not be permitted to discuss the case outside of the hearing. Video and audio recordings are not permitted by anyone other than the Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity. We will keep the recording until all appeals are concluded. You may request the recording via email to

Hearing Process

Your hearing will follow a script and witnesses will only be present when they are being questioned. Review a sample script [pdf]. The student, council members and university representative(s) will all have the opportunity to ask questions.

Academic integrity hearings are comprised of a panel of faculty and student members. Student conduct hearings are comprised of a panel of three students and two faculty or staff members.

Case Documents
The charged student may submit relevant documents up to three business days in advance to be considered for the hearing packet. 

The university representative and student can both call witnesses to present information during the hearing. Witnesses must be limited to presenting facts regarding the case. Character witnesses are not permitted.

If witnesses are unable to attend a scheduled hearing, a written statement may be submitted in advance. If the witness is a victim of sexual assault or interpersonal violence, a written statement may also be used during the hearing. A faculty member or instructor may serve as a witness.

Council Deliberation

After all information has been presented, the council will meet in private to reach a decision, and, if appropriate, determine sanctions. Decisions of the council must be a majority vote. If you are found responsible, the council may review any of your prior conduct records to determine the appropriate outcome.

After a decision is made, the council will share the results with you. A university representative will send an outcome letter to your university email that will include:

  • findings
  • any sanctions
  • a statement regarding your right to appeal.
Missing Your Hearing

If you choose to not attend your hearing, the original findings and sanctions will be upheld or the hearing may occur without your participation.


How to Prepare for Your Hearing

1. Review your hearing packet.

Read through all the information. You should receive a:

  • copy of the incident report
  • sample hearing script
  • copy of the official policy

For questions, call 803-777-4333 and set up a meeting with a staff member.

2. Decide how you want to present your side.

Think through your incident:

  • How did your actions affect others?
  • What have you learned as a result?
  • How did your actions relate to the Carolinian Creed?
  • What outcome would be appropriate and educational?

Prepare questions to ask witnesses and practice closing remarks. When you get to the hearing, be sure to introduce yourself to the hearing chair.

3. Dress appropriately

The hearing will be formal. Please wear business casual attire.


How to Contest Your Hearing

Sanctions-Only Hearing

Request this hearing if you agree with being found responsible, but disagree with your outcome or sanctions.

Full Hearing

Request this hearing if you would like your entire case heard from start to finish because you disagree with both the findings and the outcome/sanctions, or because there is a significant question of fact.


Decisions from the Carolina Judicial Council are the final and highest level of case resolution. An appeal is only allowed if there has been a procedural error or if there is new evidence that could not have been available at the time of the hearing.
More about appeals »

Student Conduct and Academic Integrity