The University of South Carolina initiated the First-Year Reading Experience in 1993 to provide incoming, first-year students with a common academic experience — a book to read during the summer, followed by a week of programming in September that includes an opportunity for students to hear from the author.
Sponsored by the Office of the Provost, the program introduces students to academic life at the University of South Carolina. By providing a book for entering students to read, the university demonstrates that academics are the top priority at the University of South Carolina.
2022 Selection Committee
- Sandra Kelly, Vice Provost, Director of Global Carolina, and Dean of Undergraduate Studies
- Dan Friedman, Director of University 101 Programs
- Katie Hopkins, Assistant Director for Faculty Development, University 101 Programs
- Chakira Hogan, Administrative Coordinator, Office of the Provost
- Michael Gavin, Faculty, Department of English Language and Literature
- Catherine Sturm, Director of Assessment, Housing
- Michele Lunga, student member
- Ryan Munn, student member