The University of South Carolina initiated the First-Year Reading Experience in 1993 to provide incoming, first-year students with a common academic experience — a book to read during the summer, followed by a week of programming in September that includes an opportunity for students to hear from the author.
Sponsored by the Office of the Provost, the program introduces students to academic life at the University of South Carolina. By providing a book for entering students to read, the university demonstrates that academics are the top priority at the University of South Carolina.
2018 Selection Committee
- Dr. Sandra Kelly, Dean of Undergraduate Studies
- Catherine Greene, Director of the First-Year Reading Experience
- Dr. Dan Friedman, Director of University 101 Programs
- Ryan Lloyd, Residence Life Coordinator, Preston Residential College and the International House at Maxcy College
- Dr. Mary Anne Fitzpatrick, Vice President for System Planning
- Dr. Cynthia Davis, Associate Dean for Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences