At Orientation You Will:
- Connect UofSC faculty and staff and get to know some of your peers.
- Learn about the University of South Carolina campus.
- Get acquainted with our campus policies and procedures.
- Be equipped with a list of resources to help you succeed.
- Learn about your academic program's curriculum and degree requirements.
- Participate in an academic advising appointment and register for classes.
What You Should Know
There are three components of New Student Orientation. They are:
- Register for and attend your New Student Orientation session. Visit sc.edu/orientation, select “Find My Orientation” and follow the instructions provided. Upon accessing the registration system, you will be able to select your session.The dates shown to you will be based on availability, your college, and/or any programs you may be participating in.
- Complete the online Pre-Orientation Advising Modules and Worksheet. The Pre-Orientation Advising worksheet will prepare you for academic advising during your session. You MUST complete this worksheet before attending Orientation. Visit sc.edu/advisingand click on “Advising Checklist” to learn more about advisement sessions.
- Attend your Advising and Registration Appointment. You will receive information regarding your advising and registration appointment a few days prior to your session.
Spring Orientation is a one-day, in-person program. Freshman and transfer students will have the option to attend on Jan. 6 or Jan. 7. You should plan to be available from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the day of your session.
During your session, we will provide parking. This was included in your Orientation registration fee and you will not have to pay upon your arrival. A parking pass will be sent out to you a few days prior to your session for you to print out and place on your dashboard during your session.
Check-in will begin at 7:30 a.m. on Greene Street outside of the Russell House. During this time, you will be greeted by your Orientation Leaders, grab schedules and have an opportunity to enjoy a continental breakfast to get you fueled for the day ahead! Orientation Leaders will guide you from your car to the Russell House.
In accordance with current university guidelines regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, face coverings will be required at all times inside all campus buildings, unless you are in your own residence hall room, private office or you are eating inside campus dining facilities. They are also required on shuttles, buses and other forms of university transportation. This is regardless of vaccination status. For more information on COVID-19 safety at South Carolina, visit the landing page.
Our mitigation strategy for COVID-19 is in a dynamic situation, and we will continue to monitor the variants of the virus and the rate of vaccine uptake in our state. All of our decisions are informed by CDC and SCDHEC guidance, input from our university public health experts, and federal and state laws.
Advising and Registration
Make sure to complete your advising worksheet. Students will meet with an advisor that corresponds with their major during Orientation to help them plan their class schedule and register for classes.
Families and guests are encouraged to help their student review degree requirements prior to their session. However, only students attend advising sessions during Orientation.