At Orientation You Will:
- Connect with UofSC faculty and staff and get to know some of your peers
- Learn about living at the University of South Carolina
- Get acquainted with our campus policies and procedures
- Be equipped with a list of resources to help you succeed
- Learn about your academic program's curriculum and degree requirements
- Attend a virtual academic advising session and register for classes
What You Should Know
There are two types of Orientations to choose from:
- In-Person Orientation
- Virtual Orientation
Please confirm the type of Orientation you have registered for and make note of it.
COVID-19 Health and Safety during New Student Orientation
While considering our in-person programming, our top priority is creating a safe and helpful experience as you begin your transition into the Gamecock family. This includes preventing the spread of COVID-19 through practicing social distancing, wearing face coverings and regular testing. While we have many successful mitigation strategies in place on our campus, there is risk involved in participating in any group activity.
We know that face coverings and social distancing dramatically reduces the risk of transmission. In fact, research shows that a college campus is one of the safest places due to the success of these policies. Other risk mitigation strategies that we will be implementing this summer during in-person Orientation include:
- Grab & go dining options
- Outdoor seating (weather permitting)
- Smaller Orientation Sessions
- Optional in-person activities during Day Two
- Virtual activities during Day Two
- No overnight component
- Encouragement of one family member/guest per student
We encourage you to assess your personal risk as you make the best decision for you and your family regarding in-person or virtual Orientation options. If you need to change your Orientation session, please call out office at 803-777-2780.
The length of your Orientation depends on the modality of your Orientation session.
- In- Person Orientation will span over two days. Day One will consist of fully in-person programming. You should plan to be available from 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Day Two will consist of online programming and offer optional on campus activities in Columbia. You should plan to be available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Virtual Orientation will span over two days. Day One will consist of fully synchronous virtual Orientation programming. You should plan to be available from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Day Two will focus on academic advising and course registration. You should plan to be available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Advising and Registration
Make sure to complete you advising worksheet. Students will meet virtually with an advisor that corresponds with their major during Day 2 of Orientation to help them plan their class schedule and register for classes.
Parents and guests are encouraged to help their student review degree requirements prior to their Orientation; however, only students attend advising sessions during orientation.