Introduction to Music
This course is an introductory survey of the literature and styles of western art music. Students will be exposed to representative compositions of the western tradition from a range of historical periods including Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern, and Contemporary. Upon completion, students should be able to demonstrate skills in perceptive and reflective listening and understanding the art of music.
Download the course syllabus for full details about expectations, readings, assignments and more.
The student who successfully completes MUSC 110 will be able to:
- Understand musical works with regard to compositional elements, style, genre, and historical periods.
- Discuss specific artistic periods or styles of music with regard to historical development and major practitioners.
- Understand the ways music functions in society and culture.
- Listen critically to music and develop an understanding of aesthetics and music as an art.
- Enhance general competencies in the areas of reading, writing, critical thinking, and the perceptive listening skills required to engage in an informed discussion of music.
- Continue to develop life-long knowledge and enjoyment of music.