This course will focus on the management of the lodging phase of the hospitality industry to include front office, housekeeping, sales & marketing, maintenance areas, and food & beverage among others.
Course Syllabus [pdf]
Download the course syllabus for full details about expectations, readings, assignments and more.
- Explain the concept of revenue management and discuss how managers can maximize revenue by using forecast information in capacity management, discount allocation, and duration control.
- Identify the steps in effective hiring and orientation.
- Explain the history and development of the hotel industry.
- Explain the features and characteristics of various classifications of hotels.
- Explain the corporate structure and ownership arrangements in the hotel industry.
- Explain the concept of guest service and identify the “moment of truth” concept.
- Summarize the four basic management functions of planning, organizing, directing, and controlling in hotel operations.
- Explain how a hotel reservations system functions.
- Identify the Housekeeping department’s typical cleaning responsibilities.
- Identify the Maintenance department’s typical repair responsibilities.
- Construct and label a hotel organizations chart.
- Explain the daily activities of a manager in several departments.
- Describe the value and importance of staffing, communication, and leadership in hotel management.
- Summarize the fundamentals of hotel revenues, costs, and profitability.
- Calculate commonly used hotel ratios, such as occupancy rate and average daily rate.
- Determine whether hotel management is a preferred path.