Introduction to Economics
ECON 224 will introduce you to both major topics of economics, microeconomics and macroeconomics. The overall goal of this course is to provide insight into analyzing the condition of the economy, economic policies and the role of government in the economy.
Download the course syllabus for full details about expectations, readings, assignments and more.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the methods and principles of microeconomic theory, including the role of economists, opportunity costs, and different economic systems.
- Explain how markets work and how market prices are determined using demand and supply. Evaluate the impact of an event on the equilibrium.
- Assess the impact of market failure (externalities and public goods). Consider possible government interventions to improve the market outcome.
- Evaluate basic economic indicators and their use in evaluating macroeconomic conditions.
- Describe production and consumption bundles of an economy under conditions of self-reliance and international trade.
- Explain fiscal and monetary policy tools and their use in smoothing out variability in the economy.