Roles and Responsibilities
The following roles play an important part in the search committee process.
- Identifies hiring need, develops the position description, recruitment plan, organizational
chart and other recruitment related documents.
- Identifies search committee members.
- Collaborates with the Diversity Advocate to ensure recruitment strategies align with
affirmative action goals.
- Ensures that there are no conflicts of interest regarding the committee members and
the applicant (Please see attestation form [pdf])
- Sets clear expectations for search committee.
- Informs search committee members of how candidates will be evaluated and reviewed
based on the requirements listed in the position description.
Search Committee Member
- Possesses knowledge of the substantive area and the technical expertise to effectively
evaluate candidates' qualifications.
- Embodies a diverse representation of the university population, including members
with a demonstrated commitment to diversity.
- Responsible for reviewing applicants as directed by the hiring manager and provide
comments on the qualifications of applicants.
- Participates in the entire interview process and recommends final applicant.
- Maintains a strict level of confidentiality to protect the privacy and integrity of
the search process.
- Asks essential questions and actively monitors the process regarding affirmative action
- Creates a judgment free culture of pointing out bias or the potential for bias.
- Certifies effective recruitment strategies are established to identify qualified candidates
of underrepresented groups.
- Monitors the demographic composition of the applicant pool to ensure diversity at
all stages of the process.
Office of Talent Acquisition
- Provides departments with written notification of underutilization data as verified
by the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs.
- Advertises positions on USC Jobs, Inside HigherEd, Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
(HERC) and Insight into Diversity.
- Provides consultation and customizable recruitment plans as needed.
- Ensures accurate and complete recruitment and selection guidelines and procedures.