For everything from benefits enrollment to where you can and cannot park, there are a variety of things that you will want to consider during your first days and weeks with us. While some of the resources are provided simply to make you feel more comfortable and familiar with campus, there are also essential forms that must be completed and deadlines that must be met in order to keep your employment in good standing.
This checklist can serve as your step-by-step guide to ensure that you have access to all of the forms, resources, activities and timelines necessary to keep you on the right track.
- Learn about UofSC and Columbia. Schedule a tour, peruse our campus photo gallery, review our interactive campus map and explore Columbia.
- Locate acceptable documents for your Employment Eligibility Verification [pdf], and bring it with you on your first day.
- Review HR policies and procedures about time away from work, outside employment and other relevant policy information.
- Explore your benefits options.
- Complete your new employee onboarding tasks.
- Look at the holiday schedule.
- Meet with your supervisor to fill out any necessary paperwork and discuss work assignments, performance expectations and timekeeping procedures.
- Sign up for University Orientation.
- Make your benefits selections by completing your new employee tasks in UofSC's online onboarding system.
- Enroll in direct deposit through Employee Self Service in the HR/Payroll system.
- Obtain your CarolinaCard Identification Card. Your Employee Self Service account must be activated before receiving your CarolinaCard.
- Contact Parking Services at 803-777-5160 to inquire about how to register for a parking permit. You may also want to familiarize yourself with designated parking areas and shuttle routes.
- Connect to IT Resources (network username and password, email, phone number, Blackboard, my.sc.edu, iTAMS etc.).
- Familiarize yourself with policies related to hazardous weather and emergency closings, Carolina Alert and other campus safety resources.
- Participate in training and professional development opportunities.
- Visit the Employee Performance section of this site to learn more about your performance expectations, how to address workplace issues and what types of recognition and reward opportunities are available.
- Review policies and procedures – In addition to HR policies and procedures, please be sure to review any UofSC policies and procedures that apply to you and your position.
- Find out what's happening @UofSC.