The Office for International Scholars (OIS) advises university departments preparing to welcome non-U.S. citizen faculty, research staff, affiliates and sponsored visitors. We provide a wide range of services to support the employment-based or exchange-based U.S. immigration process.
Please contact OIS in advance with the following information:
- The prospective scholar's full name, contact information (phone and email), and CV.
- Name and contact information of faculty supervisor/associate.
- Purpose of proposed activities (teaching, research, sabbatical collaboration, conference, colloquium, consultation, etc.)
- For tenure-track faculty, please contact OIS prior to placing position advertisements and review Guidance and Templates for Tenure-Track Faculty Searches,
- For professional and clinical track faculty, please review Guidance for Recruiting Professional and Clinical Track Faculty [pdf].
- For researchers, please refer to:
- For short-term visitors (e.g., guest speaker, conference attendee, etc.), please review Guidance for Hosting International Visitors.
Due to varying processing timelines at federal agencies, for best results, please contact the Office for International Scholars at least 6 months prior to the desired start date.
Will the scholar come to a UofSC campus, or participate in activity elsewhere, such as an off-site conference, U.S. National Labs, etc.? Please include all proposed sites of activity.
Does the department plan to pay salary, honorarium, travel-related/per diem expenses or a consulting fee? If so, how much, for what purpose and for what length of time? If not, describe the source and amount of the scholar's support.