The Vice President for Research (VPR) is the University of South Carolina’s (UofSC) chief official responsible for directing and guiding the research enterprise of the University of South Carolina system. The VPR leads the development and implementation of high-quality research and scholarly initiatives while establishing and maintaining a culture of compliance among faculty, students, and staff involved in research and scholarship at UofSC. The VPR provides visionary leadership and innovation, supports the faculty in their efforts to secure external funding, encourages interdisciplinary collaboration, and promotes research integrity.
The University of South Carolina is the state’s flagship research university and is classified by the Carnegie Foundation as an institution of “Highest Research Activity (R1)”. UofSC regularly secures over $200 million in sponsored project funding, with significant funding from the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation.
The VPR heads the Office of Research which includes Sponsored Awards Office, Office of Research Compliance which includes Human Subjects Research Compliance, Office of Research Development, Office of Undergraduate Research, and Department of Laboratory Animal Resources.
The Office of Research strives to support the pursuit of research, innovation and excellence by creating an environment that supports the scholarly and creative activities of all faculty and students to enable UofSC to become a member of Association of American Universities (AAU).
- Propel the university to new levels of research excellence through innovative leadership and strategic vision.
- Implement new initiatives and services to increase competitiveness for extramural research support and research expenditures.
- Develop strategic initiatives and provide funding to enhance faculty success in obtaining external research funding.
- Identify and establish critical external relationships in the public and private sectors.
- Provide direction, resources, and oversight to help ensure that UofSC complies with federal regulations, sponsoring agency policies, and requires appropriate monitoring of research programs.
- Enhance the teaching and learning environment at the university by integrating research into the educational experience of undergraduate, graduate, and professional students.
- Represent faculty research interests in interactions with university administration and the Board of Trustees.
- Create programs to provide opportunities for research and scholarly activity for faculty from all disciplines and all campuses.
- Foster faculty-driven initiatives that promote interdisciplinary collaborations across all campuses.
- Advance research infrastructure, increase resources and foster the hiring of additional faculty.
- Manage and supervise the core functions, budget and personnel in the Office of Research.
- Minimum requirement of PhD or terminal doctorate with at least seven years of research experience.
- Strong record of accomplishment in scholarly research and is presently at the rank of Professor with tenure.
- Record of mentoring other faculty and/or junior researchers in the advancement of their research.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with other administrative units.
- Demonstrated understanding of and appreciation for the breadth of faculty scholarship and research activities for the entire UofSC system.
- Ability to plan, execute, and articulate UofSC’s research mission to students, faculty, alumni, external funding agencies and other decision-making bodies.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural diversity and equal opportunity.
- Experience in creating interdisciplinary centers and in working closely with the private sector and funding agencies to develop sponsorship agreements.
- Ability to advocate for research in terms of strategic planning, budget allocations, capital project planning, legislative priorities, and research infrastructure development.
- Leadership experience in research enterprise/ administration.
- Presently at the rank of Professor with tenure.