The Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost is the chief academic officer of the university and second-ranking official, acting for President Caslen in his absence. The Provost oversees 16 schools and colleges on the UofSC Columbia campus and is charged with the overall leadership of academic affairs of the university, including curriculum development, program assessment, establishment of academic standards in the schools and colleges, and university accreditation.
- Leads the formulation and implementation of system-wide academic affairs policy relating to faculty hiring, retention, tenure, promotion, and development. Provides advice on important academic policy relating to faculty.
- Ensures that the institution provides qualified faculty and appropriate academic support services that carry out the mission of the University.
- Oversees the strategic academic policies and priorities for the University. Oversees South Carolina’s graduate and undergraduate academic programs as well as curriculum development, program assessment and University accreditation.
- Oversees the budgetary resources for all UofSC Columbia academic units and academic support areas and manages the strategic planning processes for those units. Plans, develops and manages an effective budget for the academic divisions.
- Provides advice on broader University budgetary issues to the President and various stakeholders.
- Supports the advancement of the University’s competitive research globally through promoting and enabling research innovation and excellence for faculty.
- Collaborates with Palmetto College to ensure quality online learning, general education and completion of bachelor’s degrees through convenient and accessible programs both at the Palmetto College campuses and online.
- Leads the USC Press, the Office of Institutional Research, Assessment and Analytics, the Office of Academic Programs and Global Carolina.
- Fosters communication and collaboration on academic matters among the faculty and South Carolina campuses including awareness of trends in higher education.
- Serves as a local, regional and national spokesperson on behalf of the University in support of higher education and research.
Nominations and application materials should be submitted electronically by the target date of December 31, 2019 to: UofSCProvost@agbsearch.com
Application materials must be submitted electronically and should include:
- a letter of interest that addresses specifically how the candidate’s experiences and qualifications intersect with the UofSC’s qualifications and priorities as identified in the Leadership Profile;
- a curriculum vitae (please also list your personal email address and cell phone number); and,
- the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of five references for future contact — please also include your professional relationship with each reference listed.
No references will be contacted without prior permission granted by the candidate. All candidate names will remain confidential until campus finalists are announced.
Assisting the UofSC Search Committee will be Dr. Roderick J. McDavis, Dr. Sally K. Mason, Dr. Garry W. Owens, and Ms. Kimberly S. Templeton. Prospective nominators or potential candidates are encouraged to contact the consultants directly by email prior to submitting materials:
Roderick J. McDavis, Ph.D., Managing Principal, email@example.com
Sally K. Mason, Ph.D., Executive Search Consultant, firstname.lastname@example.org
Garry W. Owens, Ph.D., Executive Search Consultant, email@example.com
Kimberly S. Templeton, J.D., Principal, firstname.lastname@example.org
September 4, 2019 Search Committee Meeting
September 11, 2019 Search Committee Meeting
October 2, 2019 Search Committee Meeting
October 9, 2019 Search Committee Meeting
November 6, 2019 Search Committee Meeting
November 13, 2019 Subcommittee for Reference Calls Meeting
November 20, 2019 Subcommittee for Candidate
December 11, 2019 Search Committee Meeting
December 31, 2019 Target date for applications
January 2, 2020 Subcommittee for Questions for Preliminary
January 7, 2020 Search Committee Meeting
January 29-30, 2020 Preliminary Interviews
The following dates are tentative and subject to change.
February 10-21, 2020 On campus interviews
March 4, 2020 Search Committee Meeting
Late March 2020 President Caslen makes final decision
regarding EVPAA and Provost
Summer 2020 EVPAA and Provost begins work at the
University of South Carolina
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.