At a Glance
- A community for students in the School of Journalism and Mass Communications
- Students live in South Tower
- Opportunities to give you a headstart for pursuing a career in media
What Makes This Community Different
Students in this community have access to opportunities that will improve their experience at Carolina and prepare them for their careers after graduation.
- Participate in unique networking and professional development opportunities to help you land internships and start your career.
- Go on visits to local media companies and news stations for a behind-the-scenes look at the industry.
- Have dinner with the Dean of the School of Journalism and Mass Communications.
First-Year Interest Groups (FIGS)
This community has several smaller clusters of 19 students living here, that relates to the overall theme. Students who choose to apply for this FIG community will have the opportunity to live with students who are also first-year business majors and have similar academic interests, enroll into a University 101 Course and three additional courses that are a part of their degree seeking course progression. Members of this FIG will have the opportunity to connect with a mentor team of students, faculty and staff during a scheduled seminar meeting time.
Journalism and Mass Communications FIGS
- Media & Society
Why First-Year Interest Groups?
Research shows students who take courses within their learning community are more likely to take ownership of their academic career and be more engaged with their community.
Type of Communities
Associated Community: These are smaller learning communities within residence halls focused on an area of study or student interest. Students in these communities will meet others who share their interests, and have unique opportunities to pursue those interests outside of the classroom.
FIrst-Year Interest Groups (FIGS)
Applying to Join This Community
Is this the living learning community for you?
Incoming Students: You'll apply as part of your housing application, available on my.sc.edu.
Returning Students: Applications open in October.