Friday, October 22: DHEC Update on Boosters
On Friday, October 22, DHEC released information regarding COVID-19 boosters. Please note, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson are the only vaccines available at UHS.
Who is Eligible for a Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Shot?
COVID-19 vaccine booster shots are available for the following Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccine recipients who completed their initial series at least 6 months ago and are:
- 65 years and older
- Age 18+ who live in long-term care settings
- Age 18+ who have underlying medical conditions
- Age 18+ who work in high-risk settings
- Age 18+ who live in high-risk settings
Who is Eligible for a Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Shot?
All people ages 18 or older who received a single dose of the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 vaccine, should receive a second shot at least two months after the first shot. Individuals who received Janssen (J&J) may receive a Pfizer or Moderna booster as the second shot, if desired.
Other Important Considerations
- In general, the same vaccine product that was used for the primary series should be used for the booster, but people may choose a different vaccine for the booster dose if desired.
- You may want to discuss your individual risks and benefits with your health care provider.
- Vaccine “mix and match” may be considered for the booster dose only.
- For people who are immunocompromised, all doses (first 2 and additional 3rd dose) should be with the same vaccine product.
- For non-immunocompromised people, you may want to consider your individual risks and benefits and/or discuss with your health care provider to decide which booster product to use.
Please review the entire DHEC COVID-19 booster update for important booster eligibility.
Faculty, staff, students and members of the public can get a walk-up vaccine, booster, or third shot at the Center for Health and Well-Being from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., M-F. Daily Flu Clinics will also be available (room 219) during the same time and days.
*Moderate to severe immune compromised immunosuppressed get the third shot (full dose of Moderna) and those 65 years and older or underlying medical issues or 18+ who live or work in high risk settings get the booster (1/2 dose Moderna).