International Ombudsman Association Training and Leadership
Successfully completed basic, intermediate and advanced training in the theory and
practice of the ombuds profession sponsored by the International Ombudsman Association;
member of the Nominations and Elections Committee of the International Ombudsman Association
Millikin University (B.A.), Saint Louis University (M.S.), University of Alabama at
Birmingham (Ph.D.); postdoctoral training at the University of Michigan in the Neurosurgical
Research Laboratory and at the Université de Montréal, Centre de Recherché en Sciences
Contributions to Professional Journals and Textbooks
- The Anatomical Record, Brain Research, Brain Research Reviews and Neuroscience
- Lucite plate model of baboon oculomotor nucleus on exhibit in Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons, London, England.
- Single author of Human Neuroanatomy, 1st Edition published in November, 2008 by Academic Press, an imprint of Elsevier.
- Single author of Human Neuroanatomy, 2nd Edition, published in February, 2017 by Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN: 978-0-470-96161-2.
Honors and Awards
- Six-time USC School of Medicine Pearls of Wisdom Lecturer
- Seven-time USC School of Medicine MI Teacher of the Year
- Mascoutah Schools Achievement Award, 2005
- Millikin University Alumni Merit Award, 2006
- USC Educational Foundation Outstanding Service Award, 2009
- Elizabeth Crosby Visiting Professor (Department of Neurosurgery) University of Michigan, March 2012
- USC School of Medicine Alumni Association Award Recipient, 2014
- USC School of Medicine Dean's Distinguished Service Award Recipient — Career Achievement
- American Association of Anatomists
- Cajal Club
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- International Ombudsman Association
- Society for Neuroscience
- "Ask an Expert" editor for the American Association of Anatomists
- Augustine JR (2017) Human Neuroanatomy, 2nd edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Twenty-three chapters, 397 pages. ISBN-13: 978-0470961612; ISBN-10: 0470961619
- Hoppmann R, et al (51 others including Augustine JR) (2015) The evolution of an integrated ultrasound curriculum (iUSC) for medical students: nine-year experience. Critical Ultrasound Journal 7:18-33.
- Lehman RM, Augustine JR (2014) Evolution and rebirth of functional stereotaxy in the subthalamus. World Neurosurg 80 (5):521-533.
- Augustine JR (2008) Human Neuroanatomy, Academic Press, an imprint of Elsevier. ISBN 978-0-12-068251-255.
- Steinberg BA, Augustine JR (1997) Behavioral, anatomical, and physiological aspects of recovery of motor function following stroke. Brain Research Reviews 25:125-132.
- Augustine JR (1996) Circuitry and functional aspects of the insular lobe in primates including humans. Brain Research Reviews 22:229-244.
- McDonald AJ, Mascagni F, Augustine JR (1995) Neuropeptide Y and somatostatin-like immunoreactivity in the monkey amygdala. Neuroscience 66:959-982.
- Odor DL, Augustine JR (1995) Morphological study of changes in the baboon oviductal epithelium during the menstrual cycle. Microscopy Research and Technique 32:13-28.
- Augustine JR, Mascagni F, McDonald AJ, Blake CA (1993) Immunocytochemical staining of neuropeptide Y (NPY) in the insular lobe of the monkey: a light microscopic study. Brain Res 603:255-263.
- Augustine JR (1985) The insular lobe in primates including humans. Neurol Res 7:2-10.