The mainframe will be inaccessible after March 31, 2020. The mainframe decommission is dependent on three major projects that had to be completed before decommissioning could take place. Now that the projects below have been implemented, we are in the final phase of mainframe decommission.
- Human Resources and Payroll Project: This project was the conversion of human resources and payroll from the mainframe to PeopleSoft. For more information about this project visit the Human Resources and Payroll Project
- Identity and Access Management Project: (IAM) This project is dedicated to the access and provisioning of users and their data. This project had to be done in conjunction with the above Human Resources and Payroll project as all of the mainframe functionality had to be transitioned to PeopleSoft/IAM.
- Historical Data Migration Project: Originally part of the Mainframe Decommission charter, the purpose of this project is to convert all enterprise historical data that needs to be retained, from the mainframe to a non-mainframe platform. This includes Content Manager images, OnDemand reports and all required databases/files. Please see FAQ’s below. Click on any question for additional information on that topic.
The mainframe will be retired on March 31, 2020. Data stored using IMS, CMS, TSO, Content Manager and OnDemand on the mainframe will be impacted by this retirement.
Mainframe Decommission FAQs
The University of South Carolina has used the mainframe computer for 40+ years. Before the PC revolution, the mainframe computer was one of the only computing platforms available to the university community. At various times the mainframe was used for administrative, academic, research, and personal computing.
The UofSC mainframe houses programming technologies such as IMS, COBOL, Data Analyzer, VM/CMS, SAS, and others. It supports many technical system functions such as FTP and printing services. Looking at the bigger picture, the mainframe computer also includes external storage media such as tapes and the devices that read and write to these media.
In recent years, the university technology investment has moved away from the mainframe. It is no longer a cost-efficient platform to operate in terms of software licensing and staffing. The hardware and storage media are years beyond their supportable lifecycle.
A long succession of significant re-implementation projects have started to replace the functionality that the mainframe has hosted. The OneCarolina project work formally began in 2010. The student portion of the implementation was completed in mid-2013. Human Resources and Payroll to PeopleSoft HCM conversion took place April 1, 2019.
The legacy mainframe will be retired March 31, 2020. Individual user data that was requested has been provided. Individual data is no longer available as of September 30, 2019. University Enterprise data (non-individual user data) will be migrated by March 31, 2020.
If you are, or have been, a data steward of a system that is currently operating (or operated) on the mainframe, you will be involved in the re-implementation or data migration process. If you are currently consuming any end-user services such as mainframe web pages, data storage, reporting, printing services or scanning services you may be affected. Please contact the DoIT Service Desk at 777-1800 or login to the Mainframe Decommission page on the portal with your Network Username and password to create a ticket so that we can work with you to identify alternatives.
- Enterprise systems at UofSC are supported by DoIT. Generally, enterprise systems
process institutional data (as defined by the Data and Information Governance Policy, UNIV 1.51) and related business processes. These systems may have any of the following characteristics:
- at least two organizational units of the university use the system/data and consider it essential.
- integration of related information requires the system/data.
- the university must ensure the integrity of the system/data to comply with legal, regulatory and other external reporting requirements.
- a broad cross section of users refer to or maintain the system/ data or
- the university needs the data to plan, manage, or audit its operations.
Systems maintained by a department for its sole use are not considered enterprise. Further, auxiliary systems such as orientation, housing, parking, etc. are not considered enterprise systems.
- Banner student, PeopleSoft finance and human capital management (HCM), Blackboard, the data warehouse and the document imaging system are examples of enterprise systems.
- Customers that stored data in legacy enterprise systems will continue to have the opportunity to store data in replacement systems such as Banner, PeopleSoft, document imaging and the data warehouse.
Content Manager images have been converted to BDMS or Hyland OnBase. OnDemand reports have been converted to OnDemand (CMOD) on a Linux server. All other data has been converted to Oracle and the warehouse. Working with the various organizations, we have created Cognos views and are in the final phases of validation.
Some support functions for enterprise data are still being finalzied but the process for requests and questions will be the same before and after March 31, 2020. Contact our Service Desk at (803) 777-1800 or submit a ticket and your request will be routed to the appropriate group for resolution.
For questions or issues, please contact the DoIT Service Desk at 777-1800 or login to the Mainframe Decommission page on the portal with your Network Username and password to create a ticket.
In conjunction with the mainframe decommission project, vip.sc.edu will no longer be available beginning March 31, 2020. Virtual access to paycheck stubs prior to April 1, 2019 will no longer be available after March 31. See more information about this change below.
The last Past Paycheck to be displayed in VIP will be March 31, 2019. This paycheck along with the previous paychecks available in VIP will be removed permanently from VIP on April 1, 2020. If you need access to this information after March 31, 2020, please contact Payroll at 803-777-4227. All paycheck information beginning April 1, 2019 will be available through PeopleSoft HCM Employee Self Service. The Upcoming Paycheck feature was disabled in April 2019 when PeopleSoft HCM was implemented.
The Net Pay Projection will no longer be available in VIP after March 15, 2019. PeopleSoft HCM will have a Paycheck Modeler feature under the Payroll tile on Employee Self Service and will be available beginning in April 2019. Additional information can be viewed under Training/Roles.
The Payroll Direct Deposit page will no longer be available in VIP after March 15, 2019. PeopleSoft HCM will have a Direct Deposit feature under the Payroll tile on Employee Self Service and will be available beginning in April 2019.
The Update W-4 Form page will no longer be available in VIP after March 15, 2019. PeopleSoft HCM will have a Tax Withholding feature under the Payroll tile on Employee Self Service and will be available beginning in April 2019.
The Student Hire feature on VIP will no longer be available for new entry after March 15, 2019. PeopleSoft Student Hire Eforms will be available for processing Student Hires beginning in April 2019. Additional information can be viewed under Training/Roles. Supervisor Update is also no longer available effective April 2019.
Education, contact or emergency information can be updated in PeopleSoft HCM Employee Self Service effective April 1, 2019. Should there be an urgent need to update emergency information between March 1, 2019 through March 31, 2019, please contact Human Resources at 777-3111.
Supervisor information may be updated in VIP through March 15, 2019. After this date, supervisor information for FTE, Research Grant or Time-Limited Staff, Research Grant or Time-Limited Faculty and Exempt Temporary Staff may be updated through PeopleAdmin effective April 15, 2019 on the position description. For Faculty FTE, Adjunct Faculty and Temporary Staff, supervisor updates may be completed through the job change form in PeopleSoft effective April 15, 2019.
To view your benefits enrollment information at this time, please access MyBenefits for state insurance information or Member Access for state retirement information. PeopleSoft Employee Self Service will display your benefit details effective April 1, 2019 but SC PEBA will remain the system of record for beneficiary designations.
Since VIP will no longer be the place to view your profile or update certain information for Human Resources, pin reset requests, please contact 803-777-3111.