Skip to Content

Center for Teaching Excellence

USC Students Horseshoe

Help with Student Issues

USC has a wealth of resources available to assist faculty and staff in addressing a range of student issues that may arise.

For all immediate emergencies, dial "911" on any campus or off-campus phone. If you suspect a student of possible future self-injurious behavior (e.g. suicidal thoughts) or erratic behavior (e.g. violence to others) notify the Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT).

Up front, it is important to establish expectations and ground rules for class discussions, tardiness, safety and other concerns. If a disruptive situation develops and is non-threatening, minor, and/or annoying, it is best to correct it gently and directly. If the behavior is repetitive (within that same class period), or if student(s) are disruptive and disrespectful, it is recommended that the faculty member speak directly and informally (privately when possible) with the student or students involved. If the disruptive behavior continues, the instructor may issue a written formal warning, and also contact the Office of Student Judicial Programs to determine how to best address the issue.

Faculty should be familiar with the University’s Honor Code and ensure that students are too. There are a number of ways that you can promote the Honor Code in your classroom, such as including academic integrity statements on the syllabus and tests, and discussing academic integrity in class.

Success Connect is an early intervention program through the Student Success Center (SSC) that allows faculty and staff to refer undergraduate students who are missing class, struggling with coursework, and/or experiencing general academic challenges.

The Student Success Center provides free tutoring to undergraduates in a number of subjects based upon historical needs. The Academic Coaching & Engagement (ACE) program offers all undergraduate students at the University an opportunity to learn and apply the skills needed to be successful in college.

College life can be a difficult adjustment. Often, it is the faculty who provide the link between students and the Counseling and Human Development Center. Involve yourself only as much as you feel comfortable; be careful about becoming overly involved. Suggest that the student call the Counseling and Human Development Center to make an appointment. It is best to have them do it in your presence. If the situation is an emergency, call the Counseling Center yourself at (803) 777-5223.

Any student who desires accommodation due to a disability must be registered with the Student Disability Resource Center. This office will give the student an official "letter to the faculty" which explains the necessary accommodations. Students present the letter and discuss accommodations with you so that you are aware of which accommodations have been approved for the individual student. If you need assistance in providing reasonable accommodations for any student please contact the office at 777-6142. Faculty are also encouraged to refer students to the office for assistance. 

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.