Tools and resources to help you design a high-quality distributed learning course.
- One-page Accessibility “Cheatsheets,” developed to assist faculty and staff in creating accessible content, including Word documents, PowerPoint, and Excel pages.
- Apple Products Accessibility Features
- Google Products Accessibility Features
- Microsoft Products Accessibility Features and Resources
- W3C’s Accessibility for Web Design and Applications
- How to Use the Accessibility Checker on your Windows Desktop
Course Design Models
The University’s Libraries have many resources available for instructors. Here are a few:
- Barry Jahn video on Blooms Taxonomy (Revised) and writing SMART goals
- Guide to Syllabus Construction and a Sample Syllabus (from USC’s Office of Institutional Assessment and Compliance)
- Model Distributed Learning Course Syllabus for Asynchronous Learning [pdf]
- Syllabus Tip Sheet for Distributed Learning Courses [pdf]
Large Course Development
- Cooperative Learning Activities In Large Geology Courses. Macdonald, R.H. and Korinek, L. (1995), Journal of Geological Education, (43) 341.
- Large Classes: A Teaching Guide. University of Maryland, Center for Teaching Excellence
- Preparing to Teach a Large Online Course. Salter. A. (2015), Chronicle of Higher Education
- Using Debates to Teach Evidence-Based Practice in Large Online Courses, Journal article by faculty/staff from the College of Nursing: Mary Boyd, Beverly Baliko and Vera Polyakova-Norwood (2015), Journal of Nursing Education, 54(10), 578-582.
- Program-specific Example Learning Outcomes (from the USC Office of Student Engagement)
- Faculty and Staff Guide to Creating Learning Outcomes [pdf](from the USC Office of Student Engagement)
Open Educational Resources
- Quality Matters (QM), the nationally recognized, faculty-centered, peer review process designed to certify the quality of online courses, provides a set of standards which is an excellent resource for online course development. (Once at the site, click "Download the Standards from the QM Higher Education Rubric" to view the QM rubric).
- The Blackboard Exemplary Course Program Rubric provides useful rubrics for designing critical course components, including learning objectives, instructional strategies, interactions, and assessments.