Costa Rica is a leader in conservation efforts with with 98% of its electricity generated from green sources and is actively working to become carbon-neutral. In addition, it tops the Happy Planet Index rankings, a rating system that measures sustainable wellbeing, considering factors such as life expectancy, wellbeing, ecological footprint, and inequality. What can we learn by immersing ourselves in this culture?
Throughout the course, we’ll examine sustainability of the earth and self. Topics include: mindfulness, resiliency, and self-compassion as well as economic, social, and environmental sustainability. Prior to going abroad, the class will meet weekly and hear from campus experts from Student Health Services and the Office of Sustainability.
This program is open to any major or career path.
- Duration: Spring break (March 5 - 13, 2022)
- Course listing: UNIV 290 - "Sustainability of the Earth & Self"
- Course credit: 1 hour, elective
- This will be an 8-week spring course in which you will meet as a class once a week (class time TBD but will be available prior to spring registration)
- Program Leaders: Jessie McNevin
- Stay at an eco-lodge near La Fortuna (by the base of Arenal, an active volcano)
- Hike to beautiful vistas, springs and waterfalls, from the mountains to the coast
- Experience Costa Rica's mountains and rivers via ziplining, rafting and other high-adventure trips
- Shop for local goods in an open-air market at the coastal town of Manuel Antonio
- Experience the vibrant and diverse Costa Rican culture through food, dance and music
Program fee: $1,595 (includes 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, and 8 dinners, all in-country transportation, lodging, guides, and activities)
Other costs: Round trip airfare (~$600), insurance abroad ($30), Study Abroad Office application fee ($150), 1 credit hour of tuition, passport, some lunches, personal spending and an optional surf lesson ($60).
These are a great chance to meet your program leaders, learn about the application process and more of what to expect from the program. Please visit our calendar to view upcoming sessions for this coming fall semester. Attendance is not mandatory in order to apply!
10/11 | Monday | Costa Rica Info Session | 10 - 11 a.m.
10/13 | Wednesday | Costa Rica Info Session | 4 - 5 p.m.
10/21 | Thursday | Costa Rica Info Session | 1 - 2 p.m.
All info sessions will be virtual. RSVP to receive access to the virtual presentations.
Apply HERE! The application will close on October 24 at 11:59 p.m.
If you have further questions about this opportunity, feel free to email Jessie McNevin.