In Once Upon a Place in Portugal… Exploring Portuguese (& Portuguese-inspired) Fantastical Fiction (ENGL 282) course, we will critically read and analyze passages from a diverse group of Portuguese authors and their works, including but not limited to: Afonso Cruz’s The Books that Devoured My Father and Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen’s The Girl from the Sea & Other Stories.
By conducting our study in Portugal, the home country of these award-winning authors, we will focus on the importance of setting and how that translates into fictional works. Because many of these works are designed for children, they’re designed both to instill national pride and to provide a literary “tour” of both Portuguese places and lore.
- Duration: May 9- 23, 2023
- Course listing: ENGL 282 - "Special Topics in Fiction”
- This will be a part of the summer schedule within the 3S1, 6-week session however pre-departure meetings for the course will happen throughout the spring semester (meeting times TBD but will be available prior to spring registration)
- Course credit: 3 hours, Prerequisites: ENGL 101 and ENGL 102 or equivalent. Carolina Core: AIU
- Program Leaders: Nicole Fisk and James Jacocks
- Start in Lisbon for a cultural tour including the Lisbon Oceanarium, historic and literary walking tours, and shopping
- Visit the ancient port city of Porto, complete with a boat tour and a visit to Portugal’s premier contemporary art museum
- Visit Quinta da Regaleira, a Romantic-era palace that captures a magical atmosphere with beautiful lakes, grottoes, and gardens
- Experience dolphin watching, biking through Lisbon, and hiking in the natural beauty of Portugal
$3000-3250 depending on number of students. Includes accommodations in Portugal, transportation within Portugal, group meals, and 24/7 language support from our program provider
Does not include:
Round trip airfare, insurance abroad ($30), Study Abroad Office application fee ($150), 3 credit hours of tuition, passport, some lunches, and personal spending.
*Multiple scholarships are available.
These are a great chance to meet your program leaders, learn about the application process and more of what to expect from the program. Please visit our calendar to view upcoming sessions for this coming fall semester. Attendance is not mandatory in order to apply!
10/25 | Tuesday | Portugal Info Session | 4:30-5:30 p.m.
11/4 | Friday | Portugal Virtual Info Session | 10 - 11 a.m.
11/17 | Thursday | Portugal Info Session | 4:30-5:30 p.m.
Watch the Capstone Courier to gain access to the virtual session RSVP later in the Fall semester.
Interested in studying abroad with Capstone Scholars in Portugal? Please check out the application, and fill it out carefully before submitting!