Introduction to Information Literacy and Technology (SLIS 202) teaches you how to be a critical consumer of information. During Maymester 2023, we'll be exploring these concepts in Chile. We'll explore how a different culture affects information consumption while getting to know Chile through cultural, environmental, and technical literacies.
So put your phone down, and let's go hike through the Andes, pet some alpacas, and see if everyone is taking selfies!
- Duration: May 9- 23, 2023
- Course listing: SLIS 202 - "Introduction to Information Literacy and Technology"
- This will be a part of the summer schedule within the 3S1, 6-week session however pre-departure meetings for the course will happen throughout the spring semester (meeting times TBD but will be available prior to spring registration)
- Course credit: 3 hours, INF Carolina Core fulfillment
- Program Leaders: Elise Lewis and Sarah Cassidy
- Start in Santiago for a cultural tour including the Human Rights Museum, the largest skyscraper in Latin America, and shopping
- Visit an operational alpaca farm and learn how the business works while you pet alpacas
- Weekend in the coastal city of Valparaiso, including a boat excursion and cultural history of international trade in Chile
- Experience hiking through the natural beauty of the volcanic Cajon del Maipo Canyon
$1800 includes accommodations in Chile, transportation within Chile, group meals, and 24/7 language support from our program provider
Does not include:
Round trip airfare, insurance abroad ($30), Study Abroad Office application fee ($150), 3 credit hours of tuition, passport, some lunches, and personal spending.
*Multiple scholarships are available.
These are a great chance to meet your program leaders, learn about the application process and more of what to expect from the program. Please visit our calendar to view upcoming sessions for this coming fall semester. Attendance is not mandatory in order to apply!
10/19 | Wednesday | Chile Info Session | 4:30 - 5:30 p.m.
11/1 | Tuesday | Chile Virtual Info Session | 11 a.m. - noon
11/14 | Monday | Chile Info Session | 9 - 10 a.m.
Watch the Capstone Courier to gain access to the virtual session RSVP later in the Fall semester.
Interested in studying abroad with Capstone Scholars in Chile? Please check out the application, and fill it out carefully before submitting!
If you have further questions about this opportunity, feel free to email Elise Lewis or Sarah Cassidy.