Look up from your phone! Were you looking at your social media feed? News? Checking email? How do we know what we're looking at is reliable and accurate? How do other countries approach this dilemma?
Introduction to Information Literacy and Technology (SLIS 202) teachs you how to be a critical consumer of information. During Maymester 2022, we'll be exploring these concepts in Iceland. We'll explore how a different culture affects information consumption while getting to know Iceland through cultural, environmental, and technical literacies.
So put your phone down, and let's go hike a volcano in Iceland and see if everyone is taking selfies!
- Duration: May 10- 23, 2022
- Course listing: SLIS 202 - "Introduction to Information Literacy and Technology"
- This will be a part of the summer schedule within the 3S1, 6-week session however pre-departure meetings for the course will happen throughout the spring semester (meeting times TBD but will be available prior to spring registration)
- Course credit: 3 hours, INF Carolina Core fulfillment
- Program Leaders: Elise Lewis and Jessie McNevin
- Start in Reykjavik for a cultural tour including the Perlan Museum and shopping
- Hike through the Golden Circle and Kerid Crater Lake to experience glaciers and hot springs
- Experience a Puffin and Whale watching excursion
$3,362 - $3,645 depending on the number of participants. (Includes 11 breakfasts, welcome and farewell dinner, all in-country transportation, lodging, guides, and activities. Optional South Shore Hike extra)
Does not include:
Round trip airfare, insurance abroad ($30), Study Abroad Office application fee ($150), 3 credit hours of tuition, passport, some lunches, and personal spending.
*Multiple scholarships are available.
These are a great chance to meet your program leaders, learn about the application process and more of what to expect from the program. Please visit our calendar to view upcoming sessions for this coming fall semester. Attendance is not mandatory in order to apply!
10/26 | Tuesday | Iceland Info Session | 1 - 2 p.m.
11/4 | Thursday | Iceland Info Session | 10 - 11 a.m.
11/17 | Wednesday | Iceland Info Session | 4-5 p.m.
All info sessions will be virtual. RSVP to receive access to the virtual presentations.
The application opens on October 27, 2021 at 8 a.m., and close on November 28, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.