- Please see our Hours & Schedules page for modified hours
- A CarolinaCard will be required for entry of all patrons.
- Anyone (18 and older) with a Blatt membership may utilize the STWFC until August 3.
- No guests or guest passes will be permitted.
- Face coverings will be required to enter the facility, and in all non-activity spaces.
- Face coverings are not required in fitness/activity spaces.
- All employees and patrons will be required to complete our screening survey and temperature check prior to entering the STWFC.
- Signs and symptoms of COVID-19 are not limited to but do include cough, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, chills, headache, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, a temperature greater than 100⁰F.
- Anyone who has a measured temperature of greater than 100⁰F should contact the Coronavirus Phone Bank at 803-576-8511
- If you have been exposed to someone showing these symptoms or who has tested positive recently, please contact your healthcare provider.
- Patrons should wash hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water before using equipment and disinfect equipment before and after use.
- The entry system is touch free.
- Capacities are reduced throughout activity spaces.
- Reservation systems are available for Group X, Climbing Wall and Indoor Swimming Lanes
- Maintain at least 6 feet of physical distance. Multiple physical distance grids (6’x10’ matrix) have been established to clearly define personal workout spaces.
- Traffic flow patterns have been marked throughout the facility.
- Increased and thorough cleaning will be conducted using an approved hospital grade disinfectant.
- Increased sanitization stations will be available.
- Plexi-glass barriers will be installed where appropriate.
- No items will be available for check-out from Equipment Issue.
- Personal bags should be put in the locker room. They MUST be placed in cubbies if brought into the fitness space.
- Personal items brought into activity spaces will be limited to:
- Water bottles, swim googles/cap, bath and or sweat towel, and small personal fitness items (yoga mat, jump rope, weight belt, lifting straps, etc.)
- No sporting equipment will be allowed.
- All professional staff and student employees, except group fitness instructors, will be required to wear face covering.
- They will complete enhanced cleanliness and sanitization training.
The university considers participation in Campus Recreation programs a purely voluntary activity and individuals participate at their own risk. Participants should be aware of the possibilities of bodily injury and should understand that they are responsible for any and all costs arising out of injury or property damage sustained through participation.
The Blatt Physical Education Center and Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center exist in order to provide appropriate academic and recreational facilities for use by the university’s students, faculty, staff, and guests.
The University of South Carolina is committed to providing a safe educational environment for everyone, cultivating a community that fosters respect for the dignity and rights of all persons. Therefore, hazing will not be tolerated by any group or individual affiliated with the University.
Full-time faculty and staff may sponsor one other individual living in the same household for a plus one membership to the Strom Thurmond Wellness & Fitness Center or the Solomon Blatt Physical Education Center.
Students, faculty, and staff with a valid CarolinaCard may rent outdoor recreation equipment from the Outdoor Recreation Office during scheduled office hours.
The Outdoor Recreation Trip Program and Clinics have inherent risks which help create the adventure.
Outside user groups are defined as any group consisting of individuals other than students, faculty, staff, alumni membership holders, or family membership holders. Also, any non-academic programs designed to raise revenue or where fees or dues are levied are considered to be outside user groups. Outside user groups are allowed access to the Blatt Physical Education Center and outside space on an availability basis.
The Activity Area Rules and guidelines can help you prevent injury, focus on your workout, and protect yourself and others.
The department of Campus Recreation prohibits the practice of hyperventilating and extended breath-holding activities at the Strom Thurmond Wellness & Fitness Center and Solomon Blatt Physical Education Center pools.
- Reservations are required to attend classes. You must register through IMLeagues.
- No show policy – Missing more than two classes per month will result in a seven day suspension from registering for Group X classes. Repeated violations of this policy may result in extended suspensions.
- Arriving Late – No one will be allowed to enter a class more than five minutes after the start time due to safety concerns.
- Class Times are Subject to Change – All schedules are subject to change. Classes may be cancelled temporarily and permanently based on low attendance or other reasons. Check IMLeagues.com
- Attire –
- Only closed athletic shoes are allowed in strength and conditioning areas.
- No flip flops, sandals, Crocs, scrubs, water shoes, hard-soled shoes, string tank tops, cut-off tank tops, mesh tank tops, jeans or pants with visible zippers.
- Clothing must be clean and free of mud, dirt and grass.
- Personal Belongings - A personal water bottle, personal exercise mat, and exercise towel are permitted.
- Cell Phones and Electronics – Using your cell phone or other personal electronics is prohibited during class.
Participants should review the most up-to-date Intramural Sports Participation Manual.