- Home >
- Instructors >
- Campus Partner Presentations >
- Student Involvement and Learning: Maximizing the Carolina Experience
Student Involvement and Learning: Maximizing the Carolina Experience
Are you struggling with how to connect students to the 'beyond the classroom' experiences? Are you unsure about how to expose students to student life and activity? Do you desire a dynamic presentation that will challenge students to engage at various levels in campus activities while evaluating and reflecting on how they want to spend their free time? Staff from the Department of Student Life will provide an overview of the myriad of involvement opportunities during the first six weeks of class while providing information about how to record and reflect on these involvement experiences throughout their 4 years of study. Students will learn how to use their campus involvement experiences to develop leadership and life skills that will prepare them for a successful and fulfilling Carolina experience.
The Student Involvement and Learning: Maximizing the Carolina Experience supports University 101 learning outcomes:
II. Help Students Discover and Connect With the University of South Carolina
a. Identify appropriate campus resources and opportunities that contribute to their educational experience, goals, and campus engagement.
Students will learn about campus units within the Department of Student Life and about specific programs that provide the opportunities for out-of-classroom engagement. They will also learn the importance of planning and reflection as it relates to involvement so they don't get "over involved.”
c. Describe what it means to be a Carolinian in context of the history, traditions, and culture of the University.
Out of classroom engagement is a priority for Carolina students, and this presentation will showcase the value and importance of this priority. Our traditions are the result of students' involvement beyond the classroom, and the culture of learning outside the classroom will be explained and celebrated
As a result of attending this presentation students will:
- Have an understanding of the role and value of out of class involvement as it relates to learning
- Have specific examples of activities to engage in during the first 6 weeks of class
- Learn about departments and resources sponsored by the Department of Student Life
The presenters include professional staff, graduate students and student leaders representing the Department of Student Life. In this 40-minute presentation, a common script will be utilized to facilitate the discussion yet each presenter will bring a new and interesting perspective to student life at the University.
- Students will be challenged to record and reflect on their experiences during this first year and be advised to start the habit of an intentional approach to out-of-classroom engagement.
- Instructors will receive a list of campus events and involvement opportunities to share with students as well as a list of ways to incorporate continued earning into class assignments and activities.