How to Become an Instructor
University 101 is taught by faculty, staff, and administrators at the University of South Carolina who are committed to first-year student education, learning, and success. The minimum requirements to teach include:
- Masters' degree or higher from an accredited institution (official transcript required)
- Completion of the Teaching Experience Workshop
- Status as a full-time University employee or retiree of USC
- Approval by the instructor's supervisor or department chair
- Approval by the Director of University 101
Renewal decisions are based on two additional criteria:
- Participation in advanced faculty development activities
- Satisfactory student evaluations
How do I Apply?
Prospective instructors should submit the University 101 New Instructor Application, along with a current resume and cover letter. A meeting with the Director of University 101 will be scheduled to discuss the opportunity of teaching the course. As part of this application, you will be asked to sign up for either the January, March, or May Teaching Experience Workshop. Decisions on new instructors will be made throughout the year.