The University of South Carolina “Mighty Sound of the Southeast” Marching Band Feature Twirler’s have a long-standing tradition of excellence at Carolina that continues to flourish today. Feature Twirlers at South Carolina receive a scholarship pending acceptance into a degree program at USC and are eligible for a significant out-of-state tuition reduction. The Carolina Band fields between one and three Feature Twirlers each season.
At this time, the Carolina Band is accepting applications from twirlers who are interested in auditioning for one open feature twirler position. Some of the essential skills required by applicants for feature twirler include the ability to do a double illusion, 3 or more spins, a variety of rolls, well-developed multiple baton skills, and flexibility. Gymnastic skills will be considered, but are not required.
Applications for the Feature Twirler position must contain:
- A cover letter stating your intent and reasons for applying
- A current resume listing academic and twirling accomplishments, etc. Be sure to include contact information including phone number and email address for the applicant.
- A color full-length photo of the applicant in full competition/performance costume
- A video highlighting your abilities to include competition and marching band footage if available
The video should include examples of the following:
- Competition performances (in costume)
- On the field performances (if available)
- Pep rally performances (if available)
- 1, 2, and 3 baton skills
- Gymnastic skills (optional)
Note: A YouTube link or other online media is acceptable for the video.
Any other optional materials you wish to send that highlight your qualifications such as letter(s) of recommendation will be considered.
Applications are due (postmarked) by Monday Dec. 1, 2014.
Mail to: USC Bands
Feature Twirler Position
813 Assembly St., Columbia, SC 29208
Applicants will be notified if they are selected for an on-campus live audition and interview with a panel of judges by Friday, January 16, 2015. On-Campus auditions will take place on a Saturday at the end of February-early March 2015 avoiding most major national competitions.