Depending on qualifications, responsibilities may include:
- Serving as core member of the Spark team
- Imagining, articulating, and enacting short, medium, and long-terms goals for this institute
- Assisting with entrepreneurship classes
- Organizing and overseeing events such as a guest speaker series
- Creating attractive flyers for upcoming events
- Developing web and social media content
- Meeting with students for career counseling and guidance
- Assisting with a music entrepreneurship summer retreat
- Running the gig office
- Researching and writing grants for Spark initiatives
- Fulfilling other duties as necessary
This two-year appointment is open to Master’s and Doctoral students from all music disciplines, and requires up to 18 hours per week of assistance. The nine-month stipend ranges up to $6,000, depending upon degree status (tuition abatements may boost the total value of the position to $20,000). This individual is expected to enroll in entrepreneurship courses each semester, and will work closely with the director of music entrepreneurship, Dr. David Cutler.
Applicants must have been admitted into a degree program before full consideration of the assistantship application can be given. Priority will be given to applicants who have submitted all application materials and completed the audition by March 7. To apply, submit:
- Typical admissions materials. As required per your degree program.
- Cover letter. Highlight qualifications as a musician and entrepreneur, describe why you are interested in working with this innovative organization, and provide examples demonstrating your ability to think creatively and work collaboratively.
- Resume/CV. Outline education, performance, and work experience. Include the names and contact information for three references who can speak to your abilities as a musician, leader, collaborator, and aspiring entrepreneur/leader.
- Essay. Describe an initiative that you have done or would like to pursue that demonstrates your capacity as a music entrepreneur and leader.
For more information
Address general inquiries to:
Director of Graduate Studies
School of Music
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
For questions specifically related to music entrepreneurship, email: Dr. David Cutler, director of music entrepreneurship.