Working to improve decision-making under uncertainty
The Risk and Uncertainty Management Center provides knowledge, frameworks, tools and
experiences that lead to better decision-making in situations involving a wide variety
of risks confronting organizations. In addition to gathering insights and sharing
best practices and reserarch with corporate partners, the center helps create opportunities
for students to develop leading-edge skills in risk management and decision-making
through real-world project assessment and strategy development that factor in both
opportunity and risk using a range of analytical tools and methods.
Our goals include producing graduates with analytical and qualitative decision-making
skills and a holistic, enterprise-wide perspective of risk, supporting risk management
research across a variety of disciplines and facilitating interaction between businesses,
faculty and students on important risk management topics.
We are proud to announce the debut of the RMI Newsletter, a quarterly glimpse of recent
happenings for the Risk and Uncertainty Management Center, Gamma Iota Sigma members,
Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) Majors, Minors, and Alumni. Subscribe today!
RMI-Day, October 25, 2017
Mark your calendars for the first annual RMI-Day on October 25, 2017.
We’re pleased to announce that our luncheon Kick-Off Speaker will be the director
of the South Carolina Department of Insurance, Ray Farmer. For more information, contact
RUM point of view
Decision-making under uncertainty can be improved with:
- Frameworks/tools/data analysis/probabilistic thinking
- Awareness of behavioral biases and common errors committed by individuals and organizations
- Better incentives and leadership
- Multi-disciplinary, enterprise-wide perspective
- Recognition that opportunity accompanies risk
- Enhance the educational programs at the Moore School, specifically the risk management
and insurance major and minor
- Facilitate interaction between the university and practitioners on issues related
to risk and uncertainty
- Support research on risk and uncertainty