While state funds have historically provided the base for the Moore School’s growth, private financial support has been vital for the achievement of true excellence in business education. As the University of South Carolina is state-assisted, not state-supported, only about 10 percent of the university’s annual operating budget is provided by legislative appropriations. Thus, an important role of the Business Partnership Foundation (BPF) is to solicit contributions for the enhancement of the business school.
In addition to providing supplemental financial support for the school, the BPF acts as an advisory body to ensure that the school remains attuned to the needs of those it serves. The foundation provides a focus, therefore, for the partnership between the business sector and the university that is essential to the continued qualitative growth of the school.
The BPF is a 501(c)3 entity, so contributions to the foundation are deductible as permitted by state and federal tax regulations. The foundation’s activities are governed by a board of trustees, comprising outstanding leaders from the private and public sectors.
The essential purpose of the USC-Business Partnership Foundation is to make the Darla Moore School of Business one of the best in the world.
Toward this end, the foundation shall:
- Establish a continuing partnership between the University of South Carolina and the business community for the enhancement of the Darla Moore School of Business.
- Solicit and receive gifts, bequests and other financial donations for the benefit of the Darla Moore School of Business, in conjunction with regular funds from the university.
- Build an endowment fund and supervise the prudent management of this fund, disbursing monies as determined by the Board of Trustees and in accordance with the limitations of any gift.
- Determine, in cooperation with the administration of the Darla Moore School of Business, appropriate projects and programs to be financed in whole or in part by funds raised or by income from the endowment fund.
- Encourage and assist in supporting research in business and economic challenges.
- Bring together representatives from businesses and government and assist in conducting conferences, seminars and programs to further the education, development and effectiveness of management personnel.
The offices of the Business Partnership Foundation are located within the Darla Moore School of Business at the University of South Carolina, 1014 Greene Street, Columbia, South Carolina, 29208.