Skip to Content

Darla Moore School of Business


Banner Image

Our History

The Darla Moore School of Business at the University of South Carolina is among the highest-ranked schools in the world for international business education and research. Known worldwide for its top-ranked programs in international business, including the No. 1 ranked undergraduate program for international business, the Moore School is home to a world-class faculty and eight major research centers.

A Century of Leadership in Business Higher Education

Founded in 1919, the Moore School has a history of innovative educational leadership, blending academic preparation with real-world experience through internships, consulting projects, study abroad programs and entrepreneurial opportunities. The Moore School has grown into a thriving site of academic excellence with an enrollment of more than 5,500 undergraduate students and more than 800 graduate students. The school offers a wide range of programs in nine undergraduate concentrations, seven master’s degree and two Ph.D. degrees as well as executive education programs and consulting services to the business community.

In 1998, the school was named for South Carolina native Darla Moore, making the University of South Carolina the first major university to name its business school after a woman.

In December of 2013, the Darla Moore School of Business took occupancy of its new home at the gateway to the university’s Innovista research district. The Moore School’s new building is designed to enhance learning, research and collaboration and will set a new standard for innovation and energy efficiency in higher education facilities.

 

Historical Highlights

   
1919 School of Commerce approved by state legislature on Mar. 1
1919 First dean of the department, George E. Olson, began on Nov. 1
1920 Degree program established with first official classes starting Sept. 15
1923 Nine students graduate from the business school, becoming the first class to do so
1944 Department of Retailing created
1946 School of Commerce becomes School of Business Administration; Master of Science in Business Administration established
1953 Bureau of Business and Economic Research (now Division of Research) opened
1959 Master of Business Administration established
1960 Charles E. Daniel Center for Management Education opened
1962 Undergraduate AACSB Accreditation granted
1963 Graduate AACSB Accreditation granted
1966 School of Business Administration becomes College of Business Administration; Ph.D. in Business Administration established; Master of Accountancy established
1967 Ph.D. in Economics established
1969 USC-Business Partnership Foundation formed
1970 MBA-ETV (now Professional MBA) launched
1973 H. William Close Building completed
1974 Master of International Business Studies established
1979 Franklin L. Roddey Small Business Development Center of South Carolina opened
1982 Riegel & Emory Human Resource Research Center opened
1983 Francis M. Hipp Building completed; Master of Personnel and Employment Relations (now Master of Human Resources) established
1986 Master of Taxation established
1990 School of Accounting created; Center for International Business Education and Research opened
1994 International Master of Business Administration established
1997 Center for Applied Real Estate Education and Research opened; the Faber Center for Entrepreneurship opened
1998 Darla Moore School of Business dedicated
2004 Executive International Master of Business Administration launched
2009 International Business and Chinese Enterprise (IBCE) track launched
2009 Master of International Business program launched
2011 Groundbreaking for new Moore School building
2013 Peter Brews named dean of the Moore School
2013 The Moore School takes occupancy of its new building
2016 Moore School building earns LEED Platinum certification