Faculty and Staff
|Title:||Research Professor, Chemical Engineering
|College of Engineering and Computing|
|Website:||Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Center|
CV of Dr. Shimpalee
Ph. D., University of South Carolina, Columbia, 2001
M. S., Bradley University, 1998
B. S., Chiang Mai University, Thailand, 1992
Dr. Shimpalee's current research is in the area of renewable energy including fuel cells, energy storage, high temperature thermal system, and bioenergy. His expertise is to use multi-scale and multi-dimensional modeling combine with electrochemistry to understand the physics inside their complex systems particularly in the transport phenomena.
- P. Satjaritanun, E. Bringley, J.R. Regalbuto, J.A. Regalbuto, J. Register, J.W. Weidner, Y. Khunatorn, and S. Shimpalee, “Experimental and Computational Investigation of Mixing with Contra-Rotating, Baffle-Free Impellers,” accepted Journal of Chemical Engineering Research and Design (2017).
- C. Corgnale, S. Shimpalee, M.B. Gorensek, P. Satjaritanun, J. W. Weidner, W. A. Summers, “Numerical Modeling of a Bayonet Heat Exchanger-based Reactor for Sulfuric Acid Decomposition in Thermo-Electrochemical Hydrogen Production Processes,” Intl. J. of Hydrogen Energy, 42(32), 20463-20472, 2017.
- J.R. Rowlett, V. Lilavivat, A.S. Shaver, Y. Chen, A. Daryaei, H. Xu, C. Mittelsteadt, S. Shimpalee, J.S. Riffle, J. E. McGrath, “Multiblock Poly(arylene ether nitrile) Disulfonated Poly(arylene ether sulfone) Copolymers for Proton Exchange Membranes: Part 2 Electrochemical and H2/Air Fuel Cell Analysis,” Polymer, 122, 296-302, 2017.
- K. Wuttikid, S. Shimpalee, J.W. Weidner, K. Punyawudho, “Evaluation of Nafion with various Pt-C concentrations in membrane electrode assemblies for PEMFCs,” Fuel Cells from Fundamentals to Systems, 17(5), 643-651, 2017.
- P. Satjaritanun, J.W. Weidner, S. Hirano, Z. Lu, Y. Khunatorn, S. Ogawa, S. Litster, A.D. Shum, I.V. Zenyuk, S. Shimpalee, "Micro-scale Analysis of Liquid Water Breakthrough inside Gas Diffusion Layer for PEMFC using X-ray Computed Tomography and Lattice Boltzmann Method," J. of Electrochem. Soc., 164(11), E3359-E3371, 2017.
- S. Shimpalee, S. Hirano, M. DeBolt, V. Lilavivat, J.W. Weidner, Y. Khunatorn, "Macro-scale Analysis of Large Scale PEM Fuel Cell Flow-Fields for Automotive Applications," J. of Electrochem. Soc., 164 (11), E3073-E3080, 2017.
- B. Tavakoli, J. W. Weidner, B. Garcia-Diaz, M. Martinez-Rodriguez, L. Olson, S. Shimpalee, “Modeling the Effect of Cathodic Protection on Superalloys inside High Temperature Molten Salt Systems,” J. of Electrochem. Soc., 164(4), C171-C179, 2017.
- S. Shimpalee, V. Lilavivat, H. Xu, Y. Khunatorn, C. K. Mittlesteadt, “Experimental Investigation and Numerical Determination of Custom Gas Diffusion Layers on PEMFC Performance,” Electrochimica Acta, 222, 1210-1219, 2016.