Faculty and Staff
Prasun K. Majumdar
|Title:||Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
|College of Engineering and Computing|
Dr. Majumdar expertise and interest encompass the broad areas of engineered heterogeneous materials such as ceramics, polymers, and their composites in different applications (aerospace, mechanical, civil infrastructure, nuclear and biomaterials etc). Current focus areas are 1) Manufacturing of multi-scale and multi-functional heterogeneous structural composites 2) 3D image based modeling of nano-micro-structure of heterogeneous materials (e.g. polymer composite, ceramics in fuel cell and others) and their multi-physics behavior 3) Physics based predictive formulation of multi-scale degradation mechanisms, durability and prognosis (remaining life estimate), 4) Synergy of structural , electromagnetic and thermal behavior of heterogeneous material systems, 5) Emerging topics in interface phenomena (adhesion, degradation mechanisms and durability in joints & interfaces), multi-scale dielectric behavior or heterogeneous conductivity (fuel cells, composites, biomaterials), and engineered metamaterials.
- Ph.D., Engineering Mechanics, Virginia Tech, 2008
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Tuskegee University, 2004
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), 1999
- Silver Award by the Royal Aeronautical Society, UK.
- P. K. Majumdar, J. J. Lesko, T.E. Cousins, Z. Liu. "Conformable Tire Patch Loading for FRP Composite Bridge Deck." Journal of Composites for Construction, Volume 13, Issue 6. (2009)
- P.K. Majumdar, Z. Liu, J.J. Lesko, and T.E. Cousins. "Performance Evaluation of FRP Composite Deck Considering for Local Deformation Effects." Journal of Composites for Construction, Volume 13, Issue 4, pp. 332-338 (2009)
- K. Reifsnider, P. Majumdar & P. Fazzino, "Material State Changes as a Basis for Prognosis in Aeronautical Structures," Aeronautical Journal , Vol. 113 #1150 (2009). Silver award winner for best Paper of 2009 in the Aeronautical Journal
- Fazzino, P.D., P. Majumdar and K.L. Reifsnider. "Impedance spectroscopy for progressive damage analysis in woven composites." Composites Science and Technology, 2009. 69(11-12): p. 2008-14.
- Z. Liu, P.K. Majumdar, T.E. Cousins, J.J. Lesko. "Development and Evaluation of an Adhesively-bonded Panel-to-panel Joint for an FRP Bridge Deck System." Journal of Composites for Construction, v 12, n 2, 2008, p 224-233.
- Majumdar, P ; Mahfuz , H ; Srinivasagupta , D; Joseph, B; Thomas, M; Christensen, S. "Effect of Processing Conditions and Material Properties on the Debond Fracture Toughness of Foam-Core Sandwich Composites: Experimental Optimization." Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing (2003), Vol 34, Issue 11, pp1097-1104
- Mahfuz, H; Majumdar, P; Saha, M; Shamery, F and Jeelani, S. "Integral Manufacturing of Composite Skin-Stringer Assembly and Their Stability Analyses." Applied Composite Materials (2004), Vol 11, pp155-171