Faculty and Staff
|Title:||Director, The Writing Center
|Department:||Department of English Language and Literature
College of Arts and Sciences
|Office:||The Writing Center, 703 Byrnes|
|Resources:||Department of English Language and Literature|
PhD, University of South Carolina, 2012
MA, University of Tennessee, 2003
BA, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 2001
Areas of Specialization
• Writing Center Theory
• Writing Center Pedagogy
• Composition and Rhetoric
• 20th Century American Poetry
Recently Taught Courses
Honors Critical Reading and Composition
The Teaching of Writing
Writing Center Internship
Teaching Writing One-to-One
Survey of American Literature
• “Introduction to Elizabeth Bishop’s ‘One Art.’” The Carolina Reader. Ed. Lee Bauknight. Fountainhead Press, 2014.
• “Inspiring Wordy-ness: Rethinking the Words We Use.” The Carolina Reader. Ed. Lee Bauknight. Columbia, SC: Department of English, University of South Carolina. 2005. 25-28.
• “A (r)Evolution for Writing Center Theory: A Levinasian Framework for Administration
and Pedagogy.” International Writing Center Association 2015 Conference. Pittsburgh,
PA, October 2015
• “Assessment, Critical Theory, Creativity, and Ethics: Four Preliminary Theses on 21st Century Writing Center Work.” Keynote Address and Palmetto State Writing Center Association Directors’ Meeting. 28 March 2015.
• “Pedagogy and Practice of Leading Effective Classroom Discussions.” University of South Carolina Center for Teaching Excellence TA Workshop Series. Columbia, SC, January 2013 and March 2015.
• “Administration, Tutoring, and the Circulation of Power.” Southeastern Writing Center Association 2015 Conference. Nashville, TN, February 2015.
• “Writing Your Statement of Teaching Philosophy” University of South Carolina Center for Teaching Excellence TA Workshop Series. Columbia, SC. April 2012, October 2013, October 2014.
• “Primordial Metaphors in a Staff Education Module.” With Michele Eodice. International Writing Centers Association Collaborative at CCCC. Las Vegas, March 2013.
• “Critical Theory, Writing Center Pedagogy, and Invention.” Southeastern Writing Center Association 2013 Conference. Fort Lauderdale, FL, February 2013.
• “Reconfiguring Writing Center Lore for the Next-Gen Writing Center.” Southeastern Writing Center Association 2012 Conference. Richmond, KY, February 2012.
• “Mythologizing Williams’s Poetics: Ekphrastic Lyricism and Sexuality in Paterson V.” Modern Language Association Convention, San Francisco, December 2008.
• “Paterson Book III and the Search for a Positive Definition of Williams’ Poetics.” Louisville Conference on Literature & Culture since 1900, February 2008.