Faculty and Staff
Mark Garrett Cooper
Director Film and Media Studies Program
|Department:||English Language and Literature
College of Arts and Sciences
|Office:||HUO, Room 212|
English Language and Literature
Film and Media Studies Program
PhD, Brown University, 1998
BA, Wesleyan University, 1990
• Early Hollywood
• Film and media historiography
• Corporate culture/institutions
• The Research University
• Gender studies
• Film and Media History
• Cinema and the Archives
I investigate the history of media institutions. Those investigation have led me to publish two books on early Hollywood and to current research, with co-author John Marx, revealing the career of the American university as a media institution. We are currently completing a book, tentatively entitled “Mass Media U,” and maintain a blog based on our research at humanitiesafterhollywood.org. Another book in progress, “Accounting for Motion Pictures,” describes film and television history from the point of view of its accounting practices. I am also involved in collaborative projects to bridge disciplines, institutions, and communities by means of digital tools and archival media. I keep a reasonably up-to-date CV here.
• Universal Women: Filmmaking and Institutional Change in Early Hollywood (University of Illinois Press, 2010).
• Love Rules: Silent Hollywood at the Rise of the Managerial Class (University of Minnesota Press, 2003).
• "Crisis, Crisis, Crisis: Big Media and the Humanities Workforce." With John Marx. differences 24.3 (2014).
• "Tackling Universal Women as a Research Problem: What Historiographic Sources Do and Don't Tell Us about "Gender" in the Silent Motion Picture Studio." Framework 51.2 (2011).
• "Pearl White and Grace Cunard: The Serial Queen's Volatile Present." Star Decades: Screen Stars of the 1910s. Ed. Jennifer M. Bean. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 2011.
• "Archive, Theater, Ship: The Phelps Sisters Film the World." Researching Women in Silent Cinema: New Findings and Perspectives. Monica Dall' Asta, Victoria Duckett, Lucia Tralli, eds. University of Bolonga, 2013. DOI 10.6092/unibo/amsacta/3805