How to use the Science Stockroom
- Set up a new individual account: Complete the Database Information Form with correct accounting information, select a database ID number, and obtain signatures from the PI or business manager.
- Make Purchases:
- Pick up the hand-held device on the counter
- If applicable, select from the list of approved accounts
- Pick your items throughout the stockroom by scanning the barcode label for those products
- After all products have been scanned, press "Complete" and "OK" on the device
- Return the hand-held device to the counter
- Stockroom staff will provide a detailed statement of your purchase, upon request
- Request that a new item be stocked: If you have an item that may be needed by multiple users, request that the stockroom manager add a new item to inventory
- Receiving and delivery from couriers: The stockroom does not deliver packages to research laboratories or offices. An official email will be sent to labs or offices when items are received. Please send a representative to the stockroom to sign receiving forms and pick up your packages
- Personal items disclaimer: The stockroom discourages the shipment and receiving of personal items through the stockroom. If personal items are shipped or received, the staff is not responsible for loss, theft, or damage of personal items.
- Shipping: The stockroom will assist with scheduling and pick-up of instructional or research items by FedEx, UPS, etc. The stockroom will also assist with the pick-up of large items by freight companies. Please see stockroom staff if you need assistance in completing the appropriate forms for courier shipping. If shipping overseas packages, stockroom staff will provide a comercial invoice.
Transporting Hazardous Materials:
- Safety Containers: All liquid chemicals and solvents must be transported in a USC Health & Safety approved safety container. The Stockroom has safety containers available for purchase.
- Authorization Locations: All liquid chemicals and solvents may only be purchased by personnel located in the GSRC/PSC/Coker/Sumwalt complex.
- Protective Gear: Personnel purchasing liquid nitrogen and solvents from 55 gallon drums must wear approved eye protection and gloves. If the individual does not have these items, the Stockroom will provide them for use while dispensing liquid nitrogen or products from drums.
Internal Staples Advantage Liaison: Theresa Singleton
Note: Staples.com and Staples Advantage are not the same. In order to see USC pricing, and initiate orders, through Staples Advantage you must have a Customer ID. Please contact Theresa Singleton above and she will assist you. If preferred, the Stockroom will continue to place orders for you.
Database Information Form
This form is used when setting up a new individual account for the CAS Science Stockroom.
Purchase Requisition Form
Up to $2,500: None, as long as the price is deemed fair and reasonable
$2,500 - $10,000: Solicitation of 3 written quotes
$10,000 - $50,000: Preparation of a written solicitation for quotes by the Purchasing department, advertisement in South Carolina Business Opportunities (SCBO)
Sales Tax Exemption Form
South Carolina Tax Code Section 12-36-2110 (D), provides a maximum sales and use tax of $300 on the sales of machinery or equipment used directly and exclusively for research and development has been repealed and replaced by Code Section 12-36-2120 (56). Code Section 12-36-2120 (56) has been added to provide a total exemption from the sales and use tax for machines used directly and primarily in research and development, in the experimental and laboratory sense, of new products, new uses for existing products, or improvements of existing products. A printed copy of this form must accompany your purchase requisition.
FedEx forms, UPS forms and commercial invoices for international shipments are available in the stockroom.
- Arts and Sciences Stockroom Catalog
- State Contract for Laboratory Chemicals and Research Supplies (PDF)
- SC Budget and Control Board Materials Management Office
- USC Purchasing Department
- USC Environmental Health and Safety
- USC Purchasing Cards
- Safety Data Sheets