About the Magellan Voyager Travel Award
This award provides up to $500 towards travel expenses for USC undergraduates to share their research at regional, national, and international meetings through poster sessions, presentations, performances, screenings, etc.
Funding is limited and awarded on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply early.
When should I apply?
Applications for travel between July 1 and December 31 will be accepted starting June 1. Applications for travel between January 1 and June 30 will be accepted starting December 1. Students must apply and be approved for funding in advance of the start date of travel.
In order to be eligible you must be a(n):
- USC undergraduate (any campus, major, and academic year)
- Active presenter (or equivalent)
Additional notes of importance:
- A student may be awarded the Voyager a MAXIMUM of two times
- No more than 4 students OR $2000 may go to the support of ONE conference event (example: 8 students may choose to attend the same conference but the max award per student would be $250)
- Awards are not limited to students receiving funds through the OUR
- The faculty mentor is not required to attend the conference or presentation (student may be traveling alone)
- Cost-share is not required (students encouraged to seek supplemental funds from their College/department)
- Students who are granted a Travel Award must acknowledge OUR on their poster/in their talk (“Travel partially supported by the USC Office of Undergraduate Research Voyager travel award”)
- Travel for networking purposes ONLY
- Travel for research (please contact the Office of Undergraduate Research for research funding opportunities)
Voyager Application Checklist
- Letter, Abstract, and Proof of Submission
In one word document, please include the following:
- Letter (max 500 words) describing:
- why you wish to attend THIS event,
- what you expect to get from attending (the benefit)
- how attending will impact your future plans
- Copy of abstract or summary of project, including the title and authors, OR equivalent (cut and paste to end of letter)
- Proof of submission of abstract-copy of submission page or email from conference (cut and paste to end of letter)
- If awarded, you will be asked to submit confirmation of acceptance to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online Form
- What is an allowable travel expense?
Up to $500 for travel expenses, including:
- Airfare and ground transportation
- Airline tickets may be reimbursed with receipt if purchased prior to Voyager award approval, in most cases (Undergraduate Research reserves the right to disapprove). Tickets can be purchased on-line by student or mentor OR through an USC travel agent and processed through the university accounting system. Ground transportation to/from the conference site is an allowable expense.
- Mileage, if a personal car is used for travel
- The Magellan Voyager Award will reimburse for mileage using the established university reimbursement rate, if a personal car is used, if the meeting is more than an hour away from Columbia, and if you are traveling alone (no one else from your group is going). Transportation to a destination should be by the most economical and practical means. According to Human Resources Travel Training, please note βfor travel less than 500 miles round trip, a motor vehicle is considered best. You may use either a State-owned vehicle or your personal vehicle. For travel in excess of 500 miles round trip, air travel is considered best.β
- We expect that you will stay in the same hotel as other members of your group and that, when possible, rooms will be shared with another member of your group. We assume that you will stay in an economical and safe hotel. Lodging costs must conform to the current maximum lodging rate established for the location by the US General Services Administration.
- Registration fee
- Registration fees may be prepaid by the OUR, if the registration form is completed and brought to the Office of Undergraduate Research at least one month before the conference. Many conferences waive registration fees for students and this option must be exercised if available. Late registration fees will not be paid.
- How does this work?
- Award processed by REIMBRUSEMENT only
- Receipts REQUIRED for reimbursement
- Receipts must be provided to the OUR within 10 days after returning from conference.
- OUR has the right to deny reimbursement for failure to meet this deadline
Call (803) 777-1141
Drop-in Legare College room 126