About the Mini-Grant
Dubbed affectionately as the Mini-Magellan, the Magellan Mini-Grant supports undergraduate students in their pursuit of research, scholarship, and creative activities.
- Projects are worked on with a faculty, staff, or community mentor
- Grants are one for one year
- Provides up to $1000 for materials and supplies and/or travel costs required to complete the project
- Funds are provided by REIMBURSEMENT ONLY
- All materials and supplies purchase are USC property
- You do not have to apply for the full amount to be considered for a Mini-Grant
- You may apply for this grant in addition to other funding (e.g., Magellan Scholar, Magellan Apprentice, Honors SURF, Honors ESP)
What do I do if I get it?
Mini-Grant recipients are required to:
- Work on an approved project under the guidance of a USC faculty, staff, or community mentor
- Make significant progress toward the completion of their projects within the academic year
- Participate in Discovery Day with a poster, presentation, or display
How do I get paid?
The Mini-Grant is done by reimbursement. What that means is you will purchase the items (see funding details for more information on allowable costs) and then bring the original receipts to the Office of Undergraduate Research. We will submit the appropriate paperwork to have you reimbursed. Usually it is a check that is mailed to your home.
Please note we cannot provide the money to you upfront. If you need the money to purchase an item, discuss this with your mentor.
The Mini-Grant has two deadlines per academic year. Once awarded, students may begin purchasing items for reimbursement (see funding details for more information about allowable costs)
|2013 Fall Deadline
||2014 Spring Deadline
- Full-time degree seeking undergraduate
- Any USC campus
- Any discipline
- Any academic year
- Student must be in good academic standing with the university
- Working under the guidance of a USC faculty, staff, or community member on any scholarly, research, or creative project
- Students who have received a previous Mini-Grant may apply for additional support and must provide evidence of satisfactory progress in their project to be considered for additional funding
What are materials, supplies, and travel costs?
In the past, students have used these funds to purchase everything from cameras and digital recorders to trees and cement. If you purchase an item, it belongs to USC. You do not get to keep it. Check out our list below to see examples of how you could use the Mini-Grant. When in doubt, call us.
- Software (e.g., SPSS, InDesign)
- Plane tickets
- Gas (for trips over 10 miles one way)
- Printing costs
- Hotel room
- Cameras or video equipment
- Renting a kayak
- Books (not found through the USC library)
- Raffle items (for participants in a study—must be under $50 apiece)
- Computer (including laptop, desktop)
- Giftcards or cash (e.g., to pay participants)
- Hire people (e.g., consultants)
- Travel under 10 miles one way
- Books that may be found through the USC library
- Senior thesis printing costs
- Any item that does not have a receipt
Other points to ponder
- Looking for a digital recorder? iPad? External hard drive? We have those items available to be checked out for research projects. Check with us.
- Be sure to ask your department if they have and/or would allow you access to any materials and supplies you need. If not, note it in your budget that you checked.
Sample book budget
Sample travel budget
Sample art supply budget
Sample lab material budget
Sample materials/travel budget
Want to apply? Ready to get started?
A complete application consists of:
- Application Form
- Please select Magellan Mini-Grant from the pull down menu
- Project Description Form
- Upload this form to the Application Form under the field "Project Description" (near the bottom of the form)
Need some help?
Still not sure?
Let’s get you in for a meeting. Email email@example.com or call (803) 777-1141 to make an appointment.
Please note we cannot review your proposal unless you have an appointment (no drop-ins).
Make an appointment to meet with one of our advisors
Call (803) 777-1141