The Roots to an Adventure that Changed My Life

I am currently a part-time employee with Student Life here at the University. I have been a high school educator for the last twenty years. For the last six years, my family and I have been living and serving in Chiang Mai, Thailand at Grace International School. We are currently back in Columbia for one year to re-connect with family and friends.

The roots to my story go all the way back to 1990 when I went into the Education Department to inquire about the possibilities of accomplishing my student teaching experience overseas. My vision had no limits, as I was seeking to do my student teaching program in Africa, after being challenged by my history professor Dr. Atkinson. Due to programs the University operated, I was able to make my dream of student teaching overseas come true as the university had several connections with schools in Africa. I was able to make plans to travel to Cameroon, West Africa where my education and view of our world would be challenged.

My No Limits college experience involved two months of student teaching at the American School of Yaounde. That time in Yaounde changed my life forever, as my eyes were opened to a world of educational opportunities. I was challenged to the core and I continue to serve as an educator today in large part to the experience the University of South Carolina afforded me as an undergrad that gave me a passion and purpose for teaching and serving.

[We currently are teaching at Grace International School.]
www.gisthailand.org

0
0