Heels on the Hill: getting college women involved in politics

Fashionista

After working for Governor Nikki Haley, I learned that South Carolina ranks last for women in politics. For my senior thesis, I set out to find why this gender disparity in elected office exists– and I found that the main reason is because women run much less frequently than men. I expanded my research project to include a campaign with the Southeastern Institute for Women in Politics called Heels on the Hill. One of my favorite components has been blogging (www.heelsonthehillproject.com.) 14 women at USC have been featured as guest writers, sharing their internship experiences, issues stances and political campus involvement. I have also interviewed three women who ran for office- Katrina Shealy (who won Tuesday, to become the only woman in the S.C. Senate!), former Rep. Brady and Deedee Vaughters. Heels on the Hill also teamed up with Student Government for voter registration drives and special events. There’s no better place to complete this project- we are in the center of South Carolina political scene with an active, engaged student body. Make your voice heard!

+1
0
  You have already voted.