E-Source for College Transitions is an electronic newsletter published three times a year
(April, September, and December) by the National Resource Center for The First-Year Experience and Students in Transition (NRC). Its primary purpose is to provide practical strategies for supporting student learning and success. Articles on a variety of topics related to student transitions are welcome, including those focusing on:
Strategies for addressing the first-year, sophomore, senior, and transfer transitions at different types of institutions
- Strategies for assessing student learning or experiences, programs, or courses
- Innovative teaching strategies
- Descriptions of institutional initiatives with demonstrated results
- Alternative funding sources for curricular initiatives, programs, and services
- Programs addressing the needs of special student populations (e.g., adult learners, ethnic and racial minority students, first-generation students, GLBT students)
- Short descriptions of new and relevant print and online resources
Length: Original feature-length articles should be 750-1,200 words. Annotations of new resources should be no more than 500 words. The editor reserves the right to edit submissions for length.
Suggested Article Outline
Many of the topics addressed in E-Source lend themselves to a similar approach. The outline below offers guidance on how to structure an article.
- What is the problem or issue?
- How does it impact student success?
- How did you address it? Identify strategies used to deal with the problem.
- How did the strategy work? Report assessment results.
- What are the implications for the future? What revisions will you make to the strategies based on assessment results, and how can other campuses adapt them for different populations or context?
Sample Issue and NRC Writing Style Guide
Please visit Issuu to view a sample issue. The NRC style guide can be viewed here
Copyright: Articles shall not have been registered for copyright or published elsewhere prior to publication in E-Source. Photographs are welcome and must be accompanied by a written release from the photographer or copyright owner, giving the NRC permission to publish the images.
E-Source Production Schedule
(for consideration in this issue)
(all requested edits must be completed)
||October 3, 2018
||December 5, 2018
||January 11, 2019
||April 5, 2019
Editorial Review: In June 2015, the National Resource Center established an editorial review board for E-Source. Following an initial review by the editor, manuscripts deemed appropriate for potential publication are forwarded to review board members, who make recommendations with respect to acceptance and offer advice on revising the manuscript, if necessary. The time from submission to initial disposition is typically less than 8 weeks. Manuscripts accepted for publication are typically published within 6 months of submission.
Submit an Article
Effective July 15, 2016, all E-Source articles should be submitted online at https://form.jotformpro.com/NRCFYESIT/ES_Submit