University of South Carolina

Financial Aid & Scholarships

Financial Aid and Fee Payment

Once your bill is created, funds will begin disbursing to your account. It is your responsibility to ensure that all requirements for Financial Aid are completed so that aid can be used in the disbursement process and that any remaining charges are paid to finalize registration.

Any recipient of federal Financial Aid must complete the Title IV Authorization. By agreeing to the authorization, the student authorizes Federal Financial Aid to be applied to charges on the student's bill other than Tuition, Housing, and Meal Plans and to allow payment of prior year non-institutional charges of up to $200.

For example, if the authorization is not provided, things like parking permits and health center charges would not be paid by Title IV funds. Students may then need to pay these charges using other funds.

Once you log into Self Service Carolina, you are going to want to go to Financial, Awards, and then Award for Aid Year.

Once here you will select the Resources & Additional Information tab and read the Title IV Fee Authorization. If you have not already completed this authorization, you must read the certification and choose Agree or Disagree in the dropdown box.

If you change your mind after you have submitted your decision on the Title IV Fee Authorization you need to contact the Office of the Bursar to update this information.

Aid for Non-University Expenses Refunds: If you have additional financial aid after your University charges have been paid, you will be able to receive the excess in the form of a check or through direct deposit.

Direct deposit is preferred. You can sign up for direct deposit by logging into SSC and accessing the Account Information tab. Click on Sign Up for Direct Deposit, then click on the eRefunds tab and set up your account using the Set up Account link under the Direct Deposit Bank Account section.

If you prefer checks, they are mailed by the Bursar's Office to either your local or permanent address as listed with University Records on SSC. Check with the Bursar's Office for the exact mailing dates and with questions regarding the mailing of your check. Excess financial aid or refunds that result from a parent PLUS loan will be mailed to either the borrower or the student based on the preference indicated on the PLUS application. Refunds will be sent to the parent at the address provided on the PLUS loan application, or to the student at the address on SSC. If the student address has changed, please update the address on SSC. If the parent address has changed, please contact our office.

Questions regarding charges, payment of your University bill, and setting up Direct Deposit should be directed to The Bursar's Office.