University of South Carolina

Financial Aid & Scholarships

Incoming Transfer Checklist

Apply For Aid

CheckboxApply for admission to the University of South Carolina through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, and apply for non-university scholarships.

CheckboxComplete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application is required for federal financial aid, including student loans.

  • When completing the FAFSA, you will need a Personal Identification Number (PIN). If you need to provide parental information on the FAFSA, your parent will also need a PIN. It is important to remember your PIN as you will use it frequently.
  • USC-Columbia's School Code is 003448. If you already hace a FAFSA on file with another school for the same school year, add the USC-Columbia school code to the school list on the FAFSA.

CheckboxCheck your Financial Aid Eligibility and Requirements on Self Service Carolina (SSC) once our office has received your FAFSA. Federal aid will not be awarded until your application is complete and all requirements are satisfied.

  • Visit if you have problems accessing the SSC link.
  • Remember that it could take 1 to 2 weeks for USC-Columbia to receive the results of your application.
  • sure all requirements are satisfied before April 1st. USC-Columbia's Priority Deadline. If all requirements are not satisfied by April 1st, then you may miss out on awards that have limited funding. However, you may continue to apply after April 1st to receive a Pell Grant and Federal Direct Loans.
  • If you are a first-time user of SSC, set your SSC PIN.

CheckboxIf you transfer in the middle of an academic year or summer, financial aid does not automatically transfer to USC.

  • If you were awarded a Federal Direct Loan, PLUS or private loan at your previous school and your loan was for the entire academic year, you should contact the financial aid office at your previous school and request for your spring loan to be cancelled.
  • If you received LIFE scholarship during the fall semester at your previous school (any four-year school or were in your second-year at a two-year school), you must submit a copy of your award letter from that school to verify your eligibility.
  • If you attended a technical or two-year school during the fall semester as a first-year student and received a LIFE scholarship, you do not need an award letter, but must be certain that USC-Columbia has received your final high school transcript.
  • If you were awarded the Palmetto Fellows Scholarship, you must complete and submit the In State Transfer Form at the SC Commission on Higher Education website as mentioned previously.

CheckboxCheck your awards. You will automatically be considered for federal grants and loans. After you have been awarded, use our cost estimator to help you decide if other aid is needed.

  • USC-Columbia begins awarding Federal Aid on April 1st.

CheckboxParents of dependent undergraduate students may apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan if more aid is needed.

CheckboxAs a last resort, you may consider applying for a Private Educational Loan.

Review and Finalize Your Awards

CheckboxReview and Accept, Decline, or Make Changes to your awards on SSC by clicking on the Financial Aid tab, Award, and then Aid for Award Year.

  • If you wish to make any other changes to your awards, submit a signed copy of your award letter to our office with the changes listed.
  • If you have been awarded the South Carolina Palmetto Fellows, LIFE, HOPE, or State Need-Based Grant, complete the State Programs Certification on SSC by clicking on the "Terms and Conditions" tab under "Aid for Award Year."

CheckboxComplete Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling by signing in at and/or Complete Federal Perkins Loan Entrance Counseling if awarded a Federal Perkins Loan.

CheckboxComplete your Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) by signing in at

CheckboxIf awarded a Federal Perkins Loan, complete your Promissory Note and other loan requirements at (click on the "Initial Loan Processing" tab).

CheckboxIf you have been awarded Federal Work Study, you may click here to search for job postings. If you have not been awarded Federal Work Study and you wish to be considered for it, please contact our office.

CheckboxRead our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for detailed information about your awards and how to use them.

CheckboxMake sure any Non-University Scholarship checks are sent to:

Bursar's Office 516 South Main Street Columbia, South Carolina 29208
  • You may need to endorse a check if it is made co-payable to you and the University.

Receiving Your Financial Aid

CheckboxConfirm you have completed all financial aid requirements on SSC.

  • The Title IV Fee Authorization must be completed on SSC by clicking on the "Resources/Additional Information" tab under "Aid For Award Year."
  • Once fees are calculated and the bill is created, funds will begin disbursing to the student's account. It is your responsibility to ensure that all requirements for financial aid are completed so that aid can be used in the disbursement process and that any remaining charges are paid to fully satisfy your bill.